Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I just got back from Bass Emporium....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    and I wish I had about $9,000 to spare.

I played:

an Elrick "Platinum Series eVolution" 5-string seen here (first one),

a Ken Smith BG-BSR5M 5-string seen <a href="http://www.bassemporium.com/kensmith/kensmithframeset.html">here</a>

and a Roscoe LG-3005 5-string seen here (second one).

I'll start from the top--

All of these were played through an Aggie DB750 and a Bergie 210 (drool).

The Elrick absolutely blew me away. GORGEOUS bass, INCREDIBLE tone, and surprisingly lightweight. I'm assuming that it has a chambered body. After I played, another guy came in and absolutely tore it up on that bass. Made it sound a lot better than I did. Just wish I could afford the $4000 price tag :meh:

The Ken Smith was EXTREMELY nice too. I played it for about 10 or 15 minutes and liked it pretty well. Had a wide range of tones and a quick neck. I was actually somewhat disappointed though. Not sure if it was just this particular bass or what, but I didn't like it as well as I thought (read: hoped!) that I would. Not a bad price though--$2049.

Lastly, the ROSCOE. All I can say is....WOW. As soon as I picked up this thing I fell in love. Great action, good feel, and INCREDIBLE tone. This bass just seemed to FIT in my hands. I loved everything about it. After playing this bass and the Elrick (both with Barts), I think I am now officially a Bart lover :D

Depending on how things go over spring break (with my job interview for the relatively high-paying summer job I'm hoping to get), AND how things go on my bass-hunt to DFW, I might just be returning to BE to try and pick up that Roscoe.

On another note, I also played a couple of basses that I've never played before at a Guitar Center just down the road.

I played my first StingRay 5, and I guess it was alright. It was a demo model at GC, so I can't comment too much about it, but I guess I liked it ok. Too expensive, if you ask me, but still a nice bass.

I played the beloved Bongo Bass too. Liked it pretty well. Got a nice growl from it. Didn't spend too much time here--I knew immediately that wasn't what I was lookin' for.

I also played a Warwick Corvette 5, and to be honest I didn't like it at all. I've always heard that you either love Warwicks or you hate them. Guess which side I'm on :D

Last I played a Pedulla Rapture 5. Didn't like this one much either. I must admit though--the setup was HORRIBLE. The strings were probably 3/4 of an inch off the fretboard at the 12th fret. It had a fairly decent tone (through an Ampeg SVT-Pro and 410/215 classic--which is what I played all the GC basses through), I guess. It also seemed really expensive (>$2,000) for the bass that you got.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Cool Ty! Glad you could make it down there! I told ya about the Roscoe...

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you got to try out some great basses. My wife just bought me an Elrick Platinum singlecut very much like that with a buckeye top-can't wait 'til it gets here! Sounds like Bass Emporium was a much better experience than GC-goes to show you how much you'll be appreciated if you actually treat bass players like actual musicians rather than junior guitarists.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I can imagine, you lucky bastidge ;):D I think I'd give up my left eye for one of those things. Honestly, I think they're ugly as all get-out in actual design--I don't like singlecuts AT ALL. The figuring and the finish on the wood, however, was absolutely stunning.

LUCKY!!!!! :bawl:

Oh man, is that ever an understatement. That was my first trip to GC, and if it wasn't for the wide variety of things they had there, it would be my last. I've always heard stories of kids wanking away with the amps on 11, but this was utterly ridiculous. You couldn't even hear the person next to you talking. There was a kid who was probably about 13 or 14 with a 4-string Bongo and he was beatin' the crap out of that bass. I wanted to slap him. Of course, he thought he was good so he had the Mesa M-2000 as loud as it would go :mad:

Grr.....anyways, Bass Emporium was a great experience. The fellow was really busy with other people (he's apparently the owner, and he's the only one that was in there), so I just kinda kept to myself. I made sure to get his permission before I played or plugged anything in--he was more than willing to let me play--and he basically just kept out of my way. He was helpful with the controls and stuff. Anyways, I'm rambling. I guess I'm still giddy from playin' that Roscoe :D

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Yeah yeah....go ahead and rub it in :D

I'm in love :eek:

6. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I absolutely can't stand the austin guitar center. The 13 year old shredders are easy enough to avoid, I figured out quickly to go there during school hours. However, the salesmen have always given me this holier than thou attitude.

Once Bass Emporium opened, my visits to guitar center ceased. The guys there are always very courteous and knowledgeable. That Elrick you played is absolutely killer. If i didn't already have one of my own, I'd be really tempted. Haven't checked their Roscoes out yet (or any Roscoe for that matter). Maybe a visit is in order.

7. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Some nice basses there! Lucky for getting to try them all out!

Andy

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yeah I didn't like the salesmen either. They focused more on the stupid kids who were there with their parents than they did a guy who came in saying he was looking to buy a new bass and immediately grabbed a Stingray 5 and a Pedulla Rapture 5 (the most expensive basses in the store). I was totally shrugged off. Good thing I didn't have any questions. I wouldn't buy from them if they were the only ones on the face of the earth that sold the bass I wanted.

I'd definitely visit, and I'll meet you there if you ever DO go visit (if I can, obviously).

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    John Files the owner of BE is a great guy! I've purchased a couple of basses from him and he's fair and very very knowledgable. If the Roscoe you played was a 5 string Amber quilted maple top it used to be mine. Sorry to see it go. Matter of fact I noticed this morning that its not on the site anymore. BE sells a ton of Roscoes. Never been to the store and would really like to get there someday. Glad you were able to sample some cool instruments. I've been hearing so much about Elricks. I'm going to have to put my hands on one soon.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I need to go down to Austin some time and check that place out. We need an all bass store in D/FW!

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1!!!

We're heading to Austin in November to visit my sister-in-law (and attend the Wurst Fest! :D), so guess where I'm going the first free minute I get! ;)

Tom.

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    John's a great guy, I've known him for years. BE, you could spend hours there, great string selection, I'm lucky, I live right behind it, just walk around the corner and get some strings!