1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I just got booted from my band. I need too vent and

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PurplePurple, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Hear what more experienced and hansome bassists have too say.

So I'm sitting at home, playing my new upright. The phone rings, it's one of my guitarists. He says "hey dude, as you know we are getting back together". He said that because one of the guitarists and the drummer where going too quit, I was the one who put it back together. "As you know, we are really going too be redifining our sound and jamming things really really simple, finding our direction. We've had a band vote and we've decided it's going too just be me, nathan (other guitarist) and Jaran (drummer). Your a really sick bassist and a great kid, and we'll need a bassist eventually. So this might just be a vacation for you, but I can't gurantee anything." He then said goodbye and hung up. Ok So I have just him struck dumb. I went through hell too get into the band, and once I was in, i was dedicated as the place i went too get their. It was totally unexpected. At our one and only show so far, everyone talked about the amazing bassist in the band. (me!!) I also was able too get us booked at 3 other gigs without needing a recording. I made it too every practice early, and played until everyone left. I siriously am in awe of how they could do that. Yes, they did start the band. Does that mean that I don't have any power or control over it? Just because I'm new I don't matter? I should at the least be told I have a spot back in the band. I deserve at least that. I also should be aloud too voice my opinion on how I want it too go. I am not bandless, I have a fun psychabilly band, but I really really liked this one and I belive I deserve too get my say herd.

This is also only a highschool band.

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Sorry to hear that bro...

From the sound of things, you're probably better off. Usually when people kick you out of a band, they have other reasons then what they actually tell you. Most people don't feel comfortable telling someone that they are fired, and usually come up with all these different reasons why they are letting you go.

Take some time off and start looking for another band, or just start jamming with some other guys. After a while, if you run into one of the other guys, act cool with them, and during your conversation, ask them what you could have done differently that might have changed their minds about you being in the band. You never know, it could be your age or something completely irrelevant.

Just keep going man...don't let this kind of stuff get you down. When one door closes, another one opens! (jar half-full, ya know?)

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    It happens... Band politics is just something that goes around. If you know you put the work in, and had skills then just accept there's personal stuff going on and move on. You haven't been in a band until you've been in a band that falls apart. Until you've got regular gigs you've just got to write of off.

Stay friends though - its a small scene. Sooner or later you'll get a call from someone with connections to the band who didn't have issues with you.

One band I was kicked out of after a couple of weeks for being to opinionated - the singer turned out to be a total control freak, and has kicked out every half decent player in town. Now she recruits kiddies (no offence to our younger members), who'll look up to her and do what she tells them, but even they move on after 6 months or so. Getting kicked out of that band put me in a not very exclusive club with lots of good contacts (I can bitch about her to any local band!). Definatly a good move...

The only other band I actually got kicked out of was a jazz gunk kinda outfit. That was politics - we'd have a band meeting one week to discuss stuff, we'd all agree, then they'd turn round the next week and say I was heading in a different direction for wanting to do the stuff we'd agreed (and they had sugguested the previous week). Ultimatly it was down to the fact I didnt' look the part - I look like an 80's rocker. I was a few years older than them. I also think the dayglo pink Warlock bass I was using at the time was the image they were after...

Another band fell apart because the singer wasn't good enough, and we never got it together. A month later I got a call from the best guitarist I ever met - a friend of the singers...

I've been playing 20 years and this stuff still happens - a band i was putting together last summer folded when the singer got a call from a great local band with a dozen gigs lined up. She jumped ship - I don't blame her. She was a great singer - I kept her phone number!

Learn from the experience, build contacts, keep working at it...

Ian

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    hate to say it, but this comment explains everything...... Just sounds like to me they might be a bit jealous of your talent.

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah sounds like jealousy to me too

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Man, that sucks. But (and this is just my opinion) they have every right to kick you out. I'm definitely not saying they should have, but if they started the band, it makes it 'theirs', unless you've been with them for like ten years.

Still crappy, though. But like others have said, don't completely sever contact with these guys. Chances are one of them will leave the band at some point and call you up.

7. Life in a band - especially when you are a teen. It has it's highs, it has it's lows. That is one of the lows. But what does not kill you only makes you stronger so, as others have said, take the high road. Use this as an opportunity to get to know yourself even better. Support your friends regardless of this situation - there is no sense in dwelling on the down side. The more you can put your energies toward positive outlets, the better off you are.

Find another band and keep moving forward. The reality of home-made bands is that, due to the number of components, they are complex and often volitile. Things can blow apart for the most unexpected reasons at the drop of a hat. It sucks, but it is reality.

Sounds to me like you should have no problem finding a new situation.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
    --tz

8. When one guy is a great player, lots of talent, and gets let go, assuming there are no personal conflicts, the first thing I think of is "I bet they overplayed". Think honestly, do you put in lots of fills? Do you consider every space in the song a great spot to put in a bass lick? Do you play busy? Generally the bass player isn't particularly noticed, but you are. That could be a warning sign, not a compliment. It could mean you are a solo bass player in a pocket band....

Double bonus points if you try to play with a metronome and find it difficult. Busy+bad time can sound great to civilians in the crowd, but drive the rest of the band absolutely crazy.

Even if you have great metre, if you're a busy/solo style bass player and the band is interested in a pocket/groove player, you can be the most talented guy in the world and they won't want to play with you.

You should be able to play pocket as well as soloish stuff, and strive to play what the situation demands. The goal is to make the band sound good, not to show off your talent. You should get a chance to show off on solos, but be sure to ratchet it down to a great groove when NOT soloing. Contrast is the key.

Just suggesting this as a soul searching opportunity, not meant as a putdown at all. Consider the possiblility, I could easily be wrong, I wasn't there, you were, after all.

But its a common affliction among younger players. I went through the same thing myself, and been dropped for being too busy.

Randy

9. If you are just a teen don`t worry about it. Or I should say don`t worry about it anyway. Most bands are doing good if they can stay togather for more than a year anyway. At one time I guess I worried about getting in a band. Now it`s what ever gos. You sayed you have some more friends to jam with so stick with them till something comes along. Do you play up right all the time or just part time. That mite be it if it is a young band and just not fitting there music. Anyway other bands will come and go.
    Wink

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    +1
    What jumps out at me from the post was "Jamming things really really simple"

and

"Amazing bassist in the band"

I've taken a BUNCH of work from amazing bassists.

When I was younger, I was an amazing bass player and lost a lot of work because of it.

The story of the young bull and the old bull you know...

11. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    It's a no-fun situation to begin with.
    I guess, just try to be objective.... hear what's being said, maybe you were way better than them and intimidated them, maybe you overplayed, maybe you wouldn't do that thing with the hamster and the gaff tape when they wanted you to........ it doesn't matter, bud. It's DONE. Move along, start, join, or enhance another band, and make it great however you can.......and they'll be either sad they did it, or happy for you.
    Then you just grow old with the ones that turn out to be freinds.

12. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Then you just grow old with the ones that turn out to be freinds.

Nice. +1

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wow, somebody else on TB is as anal about spelling as I am.

15. Then on top off that the bass player got kicked out of the spelling Bee. Hey PurplePurple I guess it is just not your day.
    Keep working on the bass. It is easier than spelling.:D :p
    Wink :bassist:

16. OOps I should have come back sooner. The reason the audience thought I was a great bass player was because I had some fills in the first song and on our last song there is a passage where I am supposed too slap aggressively. I went a little all out on it. All of them are much better musicians then I am. I actually barely got in the first place because I wasn't near their level. When we where doing a new song for example they could make up amazing things that where extraordinarily complex, so complex the drummer couldn't figure out what was going on. Which is why they decided too make things simpler. I however would take 5 minutes staring at their necks of the guitars figuring out which chords they where using. I then would come in with very rather nice sounding, but very simple things too play. I actually only had fills in only one song, and that was a song I had actually requested too be allowed too do it.

They actually just told me last night that they where going too interview two other bassist's, and then they where going too choose which one was right for "them". I don't like it one bit that I put in so much work only too learn they where planning on trying other bassists. Apparently, I was never in the band too begin with. I just kind of showed up for every practice, did everything, and all that being a nice guy.

I feel also that if they do go with me, that they should owe me an apology. What’s too stop them form doing it all again a year from now? In my opinion it's really sketchy.

17. Code:
    What’s too stop them form doing it all again a year from now? In my opinion it's really sketchy
    Code:

There is not my friend. I would stop and think real hard if I really wanted to play with a band like that. You are young but you will fine that musicians can be some of the most jealous, back stabing, people in any field,

Wink:bassist:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reading between the lines, they didn't care for your "all-out" approach at the gig, hence, the "jamming things out very simple" comment. Chances are, they've asked you not to do that stuff, but you did it anyway. You apparently didn't recognize where the power lies in the band and decided to do what you wanted, rather than conform to what they wanted.

As others have said, you probably overplayed. Read and re-read bikertrash82's remarks below.

19. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    dude, forget about it...

You're a bassist, we are like the most wanted musician available. If someone is stupid enough to kick out a bass player that both plays the groove, and ASK FOR PERMISSON to do a fill, then they are pretty stupid. Pack your stuff and move on to the next band, all you have to do is find a street mag with "musicians wanted" and pick which one sound good to you.

20. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Lordy, if only that were true in the little burg I live in........*sigh*..... at least I have a drummer....... we can still traumatize several guitarists and keyboardists before we settle on a couple of specific ones to torment.