Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I just got into college...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kevin V, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    Well, I haven't been around here at Talkbass in a long while, but I was recently accepted into college via Early Decision. I started getting excited and thinking the huge changes that I will face, and about bass playing in college. I'm not going to be majoring in music or anything, but I still want to play recreationally and take a good amount of lessons.

Surely I'll have to bring along some headphones to keep the noise down, but what about all the other gear? Should I actually be bringing all that stuff with me? I hardly see myself having enough space for all that. And what about the safety of it? I don't know that I'd be too comfortable having expensive gear in a dorm room.

Anyway, how have all of your experiences been in dealing with this? All advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My dorm is pretty safe, I brought my nicer bass with me and a practice amp. I kept my bass in my closet, cuz I thought it would be safer. I guess it depends on what the security situation at your college is. I think in general, your stuff is safe if you lock your door. Most theft at college happens when people's rooms are empty and not locked.

3. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    I have a 4x10 and a 2x10 in my dorm room and a bass that my dad and I made that is priceless to me. I lock the bass up when i'm not playing and chain it to a water pipe. But I'm not worried about anything being stolen, cause everyone pretty much knows everyone else so no one in the dorm is going to take it, and no one else can get in because you have to have a card and theres someone at the desk 24/7 to keep homeless people out. I'm just super paranoid about that bass, so thats why I lock it up. And I never use headphones, and usually play pretty loud. My roomate said he could hear me just fine while he was in the shower 5 rooms down. No one has ever complained though. But I only play between 12 and 10, so if you want to play late headphones are a good idea. My room is small, but I found space to put everything. The only thing I've heard of being stolen in my dorm is a couch that had been left out in the hall for a week.

4. yeah, you can see the same post by me from last summer...well, as it turns out, i was worrying over nothing...I brought my number one bass (Hambone Fairlane) with a peavey deltabass head/ashdown mini10T rig...it doesn't take up too much room, which is a plus, as dorm rooms are pretty small. I keep my bass in my closet, so you can't even see it if you walked in. headphones are a good idea, if you feel you have to play after quiet hours (or before it ends in the morning if you wake up early ;) )
    all in all i would say bring whatever gear you feel you are going to want. i would advise that you don't bring too much gear, i just brought the above stuff and a few pedals, and that seems to be enough. plus everyone in the dorms always think its cool that you play bass (guitar, therimin, bongoes...whatever) so everyone will be in your dorm listening to you!

Charlie

5. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question for people with larger amps at college? How do you move the stuff for jamming, playing shows, letting your roommate pawn it off for beer, etc.? That stuff is heavy, and I'd imagine a car would be either unavailable or far away. Do you just use a cart and walk with it everywhere, or is there something I'm missing?

6. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    Thanks for the advice!

7. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    I don't have to worry about my roomate pawning it off. Its too darn heavy for it to be worth dragging it all the way to a pawn shop. I have a car, but it takes me 20 minutes to walk to where I have to park it, so I move my stuff as seldom as possible. Since I'm in a new city and this was my first semester, I've been getting used to college and haven't really been trying to find people to play with. I only have to take 12 hours a semester from here on and i'll still graduate in 4 years, cause I came in with 31 hours from AP tests and stuff, so next semester I'm going to have plenty of time to play.

And always remember - Stuff designed to accomodate disabled people such as wheel chair ramps and elevators was really designed for bassists. There is absoltely no reason to ever carry your amp down stairs in a dorm, as there will always be a ramp or a wheelchair lift or something. Make use of this, and it doesn't seem so bad.

8. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I both of my basses to college with me. When they're not in my hands of being worked on on my desk, they are hidden as far under my bed with some bags in front of them to block them from sight.

It is as safe as you and your roommate make it. Just make sure the door is always locked... my roommate left the door cracked open because he didn't know where his key was and left for class. I came back hours later to find that my computer was stolen.

Just make sure it's hidden when not in use and don't forget to lock the door. Make sure your roommate knows to lock up as well.