1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I just got my Fatman...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ...and I'm a little miffed. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not. I got it today and I've spent the last hour or so testing A/B with my Rat

Controls
    3 knobs: volume, gain, and lead frequency (all knobs are numbered 1-9)
    lead switch (knob or manual)
    rumble switch
    photo-resistor (manual lead mode)

pros
    GREAT job retaining the low end
    can get almost synthy with the gain cranked
    can get VERY loud...unity gain was about 1/2 for me
    lead mode?
    blue LED (optional, along with your choice of exterior - I got black pleather)
    very solidly built

cons
    size
    doesnt do medium/low gain very well - this is a heavy distortion/almost fuzz
    lead mode?

I dont know what to think about the lead/ocilating mode. It's crazy to control and the sound drowns out the actual note I play alot. Maybe this would get better with practice.

As far as the distortion goes, it sounds great but I wish there was a tone knob so I could tweak it myself, rather than just the preset tone. I do kind of like the ripping kind of quality the distortion has (reminds me kind of a synth) but its not as synthy as I would like if I wanted to use it just for that.

hmm...I'll keep it a few more days and play around with it and see if I like it enough to keep.

any comments/suggestions/questions?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    If lead mode is crushing your sound, try boosting your input signal with a clean boost.

3. mk.

would just boosting the volume on my compressor that is before the fatman work the same?

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah, play with it a bit. I happen to use a clean booster, but there is no reason any gain pedal could be used.

5. hm, interesting. Now that I've boosted my input gain my Rat sounds thinner than the Fatman..

I think I'm far from done trying this pedal out

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    This pedal sounds interesting and exactly like what I'm looking for. How much is it? Where could I get one? and can you elaborate on the lead channel?

7. they are 180 new from 3xfx.com

They're some clips on the website, and I think there are some in this thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416

which is a good idea to read

he has since updated the look of the pedal and I'll post pics sometime tonight