Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I just met Robert Plant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by themajorrager, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Wow, what a great night. im over in england at the moment on holiday. Tonight is the last night of my holiday and as it is my uncles birthday i went out with my mum, step-father, uncle and his partener to celibrate.
    we went to a nice pub in the country for a meal and got chatting to the waitress. the topic turned to music and i bought up my appreciation of Led Zeppelin and Robert Plants solo work. the waitress then mentions that Robert comes into that very pub frequently for a drink. she returns five minutes later to inform me that Robert has just come in and is having a drink at the bar.
    So, seizing the moment, i go upto the bar and introduce myself to Robert, we start talking about his career and his recent tour. What a great guy!!! So pleasant to talk to and very humble too. i think its great when people dont hide behind their celebrity and make an effort to stop and talk to there fans.
    :)
    Anyone else have a similar story?

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wow, that's very cool.

you didn't ask for the mudshark special, did you? :eek:

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had a completely different experience with Flea. An experience very similar to yours with Ozzy. A bad experience with Phil Collins. Another bad experience with Lars Ulrich. I had a good experience with the guys from Soundgarden, another good one with Chad Smith and Anothony Keidis. Positive would describe my interaction with George Benson as well as Sebastion Bach from Skid Row.

I have many more from my years working in the personal security field.

-Mike

4. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

please tell me you slugged phil collins in the face. :D

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Almost. Read on...

I was asked to keep an eye on him when he arrived in Tacoma for a concert. While I was waiting outside his tour bus, I received a call to report to another part of the parking lot. As I turned to run, the tour bus door pops open and hits me. As a natural reaction, I pushed the door back so I could go by. I guess I pushed on the door a bit harder than I should have. Phil Collins tumbled to the ground with some other dude. He was PISSED. I laughed.

-Mike

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, that shouldn't make me happy. :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude! that's awesome. i'd love to meet robert plant.

i had a bad experience with john entwistle (he was a prick, god rest his soul) but a great one with jon anderson. met a bunch of various celebs at namm shows, a few stick out as being really great. chris squire was very cool, so was stanley clarke, terry bozzio has aways been very cool every time i've had a chance to shoot the breeze with him. in fact, most of the famous drummers i've met have been very cool. go figure. did security for floyd when they played in atlanta in the early 90's. they were very cool and cordial, if somewhat aloof. the guys from the dead were like that too.

there have been a few epic tools that i've had the distinct misfortune of meeting, but since i can't say anything nice, i won't say anything heh :D.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I'd like to hear about Soundgarden. Ben Shepherd looks like a mean dude, but I hear he's a nice fellow.

Also curious to hear about Flea.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Funny you should say that about Flea, Anthony says at some point in his autobiography that Flea is the egomaniac of the band so Anthony was really insulted when Flea called him an egomaniac lol.

Anyway, cool meeting Plant. Only things I have to my name are the bassist of Franz Ferdinand (used to go to my school) and the drummer of the Kaiser Chiefs (cousin of a friend). They were both really cool people though :), even though I have to admit I don't really like all Kaiser Chiefs stuff, he was still a decent bloke and we had a chat about music and bands and what it's like in the business. I told him if their bassist ever goes insane or drinks himself to death then call me and I'll sub for them xD.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW ! Thats really awesome.:)

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike

What went down with Lars?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The band was in Seattle to play, and Lars had his father with him. Lars commented to my boss that he wanted someone with his father at all times in case someone tries to do something to him. I was asked to follow Mr. Ulrich around the building. As the band was preparing for soundcheck, I looked into the direction of Jason Newstead to see what bass he was carrying. I'm still within five feet of Mr. Ulrich, and we are in a safe area away from any fans.

Lars notices that I am not staring intently at his father so he calls me a "_____ looking for an autograph", and asks that I be removed from the area.

-Mike

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Way cool John. Way cool!!

-Mike

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I actually met Chris Cornell way back in the day at a Nirvana concert, before Soundgarden was "cool". Lot's of good times with those guys. One of the best was in '92 at the second Lollapalooza. Ben Sheperd was always a very cool dude, super intelligent as well.

Flea....this one happened at the '92 Lollapalooza. After their set, I was standing in the dressing room area as he walked by with a big bowl of rice and beans. He sat down behind me, so I sat down across the table from him. As we made eye contact, I started to say "what's up?" when he unleashed a profanity filled tirade about all he wants is some peace and quiet so he can eat his dinner. Keep in mind that he is in an outdoor tent area where there are close to 150 people milling around partying.

-Mike

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmmm. This doesn't surprise me.

Ah! I'm so jealous of everyone here! I've never met any famous people. grr. JT, I am curious to hear about Squire and Entwistle. Mike, could I hear about Ozzy and Keidis? Hehe, stories are fun!

And I heard Plant was a prick in real life. Nice to know he isn't.

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Whoa! Flea's reaction seemed a bit... I don't know... uncalled for?

However, props to Soundgarden. That's awsome, I would love to meet those guys.

Now my only and last question is what profession are you in that allows you to meet all these great (and not so great) people? Also, where do I sign up to do that for a living?

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Personal security. I started out working at concerts as one of those dudes with the yellow "STAFF" shirts on. Because of my size, I was asked if I would be interested in working in security in a more professional manner. Shortly after that, I was hired by an agency to provide personal security. It wasn't always famous people by the way. I spent many a night keeping tabs on some old rich fart and his wife.

-Mike

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ozzy was a really nice guy. Even though it was my job to provide security, he traveled with his own security. So right from the start Ozzy told me all I had to do was act like I was working. After the show, he signed a t-shirt and gave it to me. Then he asked me if I had any friends that wanted shirts. I got a few more shirts, and then he thanked me for watching out for him.

Keidis actually came and talked to me after my butt chewing from Flea. He invited me to have a beer and some food with him at another table. He was asking me about the local music scene, and what kind of cool things there are to do. He told me some stories about Flea ripping into other people for the same thing, so not to be worried. At the end he asked me if I was still going to buy their CD's. :D

-Mike

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's pretty cool about Ozzy and Robert Plant. Two guys that it seems have done the total opposite of letting stardom get to their heads when it comes to the fans.

I've heard more than one story where Flea acted like a total prick to fans or people around him. It seems so hypocritical because in interviews and on TV, etc.. he always seems to try to play himself off as mr love-everybody-peace-and-harmony.

brad cook

20. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    ghad... i had a dream that I met the chili peppers and it was the greatest experience ever. I can't imagine it in real life... I'd prolly act like a school girl meeting nsync or something. :bag: