so i just popped the buy it now on this 78 jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narud, Feb 24, 2006.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I really like the pearloid blocks much better than the black ones.

looks like a nice one.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

only thing I don't like is that 3 bolt neck
  5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    damn that is sweet!!! too bad it doesn't come with the original case though :( but sweet bass! Want to sell it right away for profit? :-D
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well i sold my last 78 to help fund my fodera, so hopefully this one will be sticking around!
  7. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I've always loved that bass. Though I'd most definitely change the pickguard.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - these were introduced by CBS as a factory cost-cutting measure, which meant wobbly necks - I would never buy a Fender in the 80s because of this... .

They got quality control back on track in the late 90s and the neck joints from then on have been much more secure - the RB5 has one of the most secure joints I've ever encountered -but 70s Jazz basses are noriously bad for this...:meh:
  9. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    I don't really see a problem with the 3 bolt neck.. the bullet truss on the other hand is one thing I really don't like..

I haven't noticed any problems with wobblyness on my 76 jazz though.. I guess i found a good one..
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    When did the four-bolt necks get reintroduced? I always thought it was the early 80s?
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was looking for pro-level basses in the 80s and was always very disappointed with Fenders at the time - of course being in Britain, we wer relying on what stock had been shipped over and no doubt it hung about ...

But this was the time, when the "oriental" copies started to be better than the originals ...;)

I picked up one of the first Ibanez Musicians and it was so much better than any Fender I had been able to try in the UK!! :)
  12. kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    That bass is beautiful! The natural finish has aged nicely. Well worth the money, and I too love the block inlays. Nice get!:bassist:
  13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    That's true. When I was looking for a Fender precision a couple of years back, most of the "new" stock I could find in guitar shops was at least three years old. That included a 50th anniversary precision from 1996. I might have bought it if the strings weren't so dead.
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive had a couple 70's jazzes and have never had a problem with the three bolt either. the easiest solution.......dont yank on the neck:D
  15. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm not quite sure why Fender did it, but my understanding is that Leo designed the 3-bolt system for Fender, but his was like the Musicman/G&L system, while Fender took his idea and shortened the plate somewhat, which, combined with the age of the routing machines, caused the instability on Strats, and Jazz & Tele basses. Teles, Mustangs, and P-basses remained 4-bolt through the 70's...and probably whatever else they were making. I don't think the intent was cost-cutting, but the results sure made it look that way.

Fender went back to the 4-bolt system by 1983. I know, because I bought my first Strat in '83, and it was 4-bolt. QC was definitely back by then, though I must say, my '78 Jazz was tons nicer than my '83 Precisions.
  16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've got a '77 and a '78 and play both out regularly. If the bass is still around, the neck is probably gonna be OK. ENJOY!!
  17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I prefer black ones because they stand out more. At a distant the pearloid kinda fades into the maple. On rosewood, though, I like the pearl ones.

Regardless, that's a great bass.
  18. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Great looking bass. Congratulations!!
  19. My '78 'J had a three bolt, too. It was gigged 3 times a week, and was hauled across the US twice. No stablilty problems at all.

If the bass is a dog, it makes no difference if it's four-bolt or three-bolt.
  20. Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    The Problem with the 3 bolt system was a myth . The Real problem was a lot of Fenders From the 70"s the neck pockets were cut to wide if they had six bolts they would shift . I have seen some that had a 2mm gap and some that was tight as drum . I had a 75 P that was tight and looked at others that had the gap. Qc was the problem as said before the the routing was the problem . I have a 70's FSR Jazz with a 3 bolt neck and have had a few G&L's with no problem .