1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so i just walked....feel good for it

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Icey101, Aug 7, 2012.

1. well i had a gut full of missed rehearsals....and the usual flakey excuses.....

so i just deleted my email address and have not bothered contacting them

i got an sms from the leader asking what i was up to....and i said i was busy....i said if you need me let me know etc

to harsh?....well i feel good about it actually...lol

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Lots of ways to quit a band, but this isn't one of 'em. :rollno:

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    nothing I hate more than the missing practice guy, we had one and finally kicked his a** to the curb!

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Go find some guys who want to play & work.
    At one time I worked in 3 bands, they all had excuses
    the usual whining, so between all of them I stayed busy.
    Follow your gut feeling.

5. update:

ok 6 weeks after i lost contact, i just got an sms from the leader, gigs arranged, rehearsal starting next week to kick off, lets go etc

So there you go my flakey theory worked, back into it again

at least i have something to amuse myself in the meantime i keep my eyes open

6. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    Don't get your hopes up my friend, not yet. I do believe people can change, but in my experience, band leaders don't. I wish you luck, but feel like you will return to this thread within a month or two and tells us its ended.

Good luck!!:D

7. Your band leader doesn't sound like a very smart guy. I wouldnn't hire a guy bacck who quit that way

8. i don't want to stir the pot here, but it seems to me you just flaked on them like they did to you. i think that i would have gone about it differently. i would have told them i quit or said that it's time we all get on the same page. you're just being as flakey as they are. i'm sorry if i've misread the situation. glad it seemed to work out for you anyhow.

9. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    This....

10. yeh you are correct....

its my anti flakey formula i am trialing, you just go off and do something else and dont worry about them, if they want to know what you are up to you say...just enjoying myself and extending my network....let the flakes decide if they want you

11. ok, fair enough. there's more than one way to skin a cat.......

12. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I think you need to grow a pair and walk the right way.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    So being "flakey" to the flakes is kinda like a reverse psychology ploy?

Seems to have worked.:)

Keep us updated.

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I see nothing wrong with simply matching the commitment level of the band leader. It's probably a better option than either sanctimoniously ragequitting or nursing the band for someone else, IMO.

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sure it is, depends on the BL. Some band leaders don't deserve any kind of explanation or notice at all.

I have been in bands where I wouldn't give the BL the time of day if I was looking at the clock.

The band i'm in now, because of the way I'm treated, I would give a lengthy notce, my reason for moving on, help with finding a replacement and would stay on board until the best replacement was gig ready.

blue

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

The other guy not being professional is not an excuse for YOU not being professional.

17. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I also agree that how you quit is just not good. Personally, I don't like mind games like that where you try to "out-flake" someone. It's just petty and childish. Just tell the guy you're not interested in the band, so you save everyone the trouble of contacting you. It's not like you're intending to return to the band anyways, so how hard can it be to make it official to the BL?

18. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    There is a point to that, for almost anyone I would bring quitting up well ahead of time to allow them audition time and playing out any scheduled gigs, though there are some situations where it would feel really good to spite them somehow. After some wishful thinking I would draw the line at 'Sorry but I think I am going to move on without you, good luck with your band.'

Even my last band with a control-freak BL that neglected glaring sound issues and took all mention of them as a personal attack, and in a situation where I knew he was badmouthing me to protect his ego, I was confiding to the rest of the band that I would never leave them hanging.