Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i like limp bizkit.....so sue me!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tdogg, Mar 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    remember back in the days of 3-dolla-bill when
    bizkit was cool? i do! does any one have any idea what
    effect or distortion or whatever that sam rivers used on
    this album? the effect i'm talking about is very apparent
    on the intro to track#8 on this album. any help would be greatly appreciated....this has been driving me noootz!

2. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I think people refer to it as an EQ...

Very smiley face.

3. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I'm sure Sam Rivers never uses effect pedals , he even said so in an interview for bass player. It is possibly something on the amp that enhances his volume or whatever it is.

4. NO FX! It's all in tha fingers.

5. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    Or the EQ, as stated.

Oh, he does have an envelope Filter by the way.

6. I don't know how he does it but I do it by using a Zoom 506 processor with thrash distortion and flange.

7. I'm pretty sure Sam's current setup doesn't have any effects (as referred in Bass Player), but I do know he plays with SVT II heads. Track #8 sounds like it has an overdriven bass sound to it and most likely Sam just turned up his amp and played overdriven to give it that real throaty, thick sound. Makes sense to me, but these are just my thoughts...

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Envelope Filter?

What song does he use that in? I never remember hearing an envelope filer...

9. he uses it in song no. 8 on three dolla bill "clunk"

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Envelope Filter in Clunk? Yeah right.

Thats one of my favorite CD's and i've listened and played to that song about 700000 times and their are no effects other than a lil'distortion.

I've seen tons of their live shows and their are no pedals out in front of him, and in the CSATHFW cd, you can see sam sitting down with his bass with no pedals on the floor.

I really doubt he uses effects.

11. im guessin that it is just a different technique in the hand.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I thought bass player did articles on actual bassists?

13. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I think they stopped doing that a long time ago....and instead of using all of these effects just do what Sam Rivers did...turn up and hit the sh**
    out of the strings.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I figure if they're going to do articles on modern bands, that a lot of kids actually like, they should do it on a bassist that's actually good. Like the guy from Catch 22, Matt Freeman (rancid), The bassist of Plan A Project, The bassist of Common Rider, or the bassist of Anti-Flag. Not some guy who just spazzes out on stage and starts hitting random strings on the low b, and the coolest thing about him is his dreaded hair (which isn't even very cool).

Anyone can crank the settings on their amp, and get an badly distorted sound out of it.

I thought they made graphic EQ's and regular EQ's so you could actually alter your sound, not make it sound as horrible as you possibly could... Guess I was wrong! haha

15. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Sam Rivers - Dreaded Hair?

I think your talking about the wrong person dude. He's been bald for the looooongest time. And he's one of the only players today who doesnt just bang on the low b string. He rarely touches the low strings. He's a jazzy type player. Listen to "stuck","counterfeit" or "sour".

16. It kinda sounds like he just turned up the midrange on his eq. That's basically what I do. On another note, Sam isn't just one of those crappy thrasher bassists. He's pretty melodic and knows what he's doin so quit bad mouthin him.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    uh huh, it sounds it. Tell me who you're comparing him to though? And no, I won't download any sort of "metal" like korn or limp bizkit.

18. Hey CrawlingEye, I don't go around ridiculing you for the different music that you listen to, so I'd appreciate it if you do the same. I'm not a fan of Limp Bizkit, but I respect them for having a large fan base. Plus, after reading the article in BP, I found out he's not a moron at all, like I thought he would be. Respect others opinions and they will respect your's...

19. You're right. He's not a moron, he's an absolute sweetheart!

Sam is jazz trained, and has been playing with John Otto, who is also Jazz trained, for years. I don't necesarily like all their music, but one of the things I like most about them is they're extremely sensative to their fans. It's been a really long time since I've seen a band spend time both before and after a show out talking with fans and signing autographs.

They also work extremely hard, and spend a good two thirds of the year on the road. They don't take their success as "God Given" and have been helping to give other new bands a boost in the business as well.

It's never a good idea to assume that a public persona is the only one dimentional, or just because a group or individual is making money playing something the public wants, they're a "one trick pony".

Sorry...couldn't help myself! :D

Lisa

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im with Bassline to an extent. You especially shouldn't badmouth him if you dont even know what you're talking about. River's tone is surprisingly ok, unlike most "punk" that you're into. Be cool dude, don't sit there and insult what you don't know.

However, the power chord arpeggiations are a bit annoying, but its still better than most punk!

As for why they don't do the bassists you named; theyve done some, and they can't do all punk...it wouldn't sell absolutely anything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.