1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so, I lost a speaker.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strke-fender, Apr 28, 2010.

1. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    This is a sad day,

I lost the 15" speaker in my Mesa Boogie 1516. I need some counseling on whats next.

The speaker was a 400w 8 ohm ( i believe) ElectroVoice speaker.

I could replace it with a Mesa Powerhouse speaker, but would that be a dramatic change in sound? would it ruin my sound?

Thanks.

2. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    thats a 15 a 10 and a 6 right? so is the 15 a low frequency woofer? what are the crossover points? 3015LF could fit the bill if the crossover is right. im guessing with a 10 and 6 in there that the 15 probably only handles under 250HZ so you want it as low as you can go flat to whatever the crossover point is.

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    actually i just read it uses a EVM 15L which is 60-6000HZ. the 400 watt pro live is hard to find but i hear you can buy a recone for $80 and recone your own

4. The EV speakers came in 200W and 400W varieties and I believe the 200W was more common.

Recone kits are a very popular option for that speaker, as they are highly regarded in some circles. Is that a possibility for your speaker (you'll have to be more specific than 'lost')?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only advantage to the EV lies above 2kHz, and that should be moot in a cab that also has tens and sixes. OTOH the EV has poor low end response, and below 100 Hz where it really counts it will only take 100 watts before farting out. The only disadvantage to the 3015LF is that you'll wonder how you ever managed to get along without it.

6. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    I don't know where you are, but if you want your speaker reconed, I can't recommend these guys highly enough: http://www.circuitshop.com The tech, Richie Dekker and I used to work together for Clear Channel radio and he's awesome. (He's been in the audio business for years, toured with Joan Jett for a while, has fixed more speakers than I could count and spends his spare time repairing old Hammond organs and renting them to performers).

Fire off an email and see what they can do for you.

7. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well there you go, I know i love the 3015LF I was just to lazy to check params on the woofers this morning to compare

8. My speaker guy, Santon Audio, here in the greater Toronto area charges around $35-45 for a re-cone + the cost of the kit. While a DIY re-cone is possible for that small cost I'd get a professional to do it.

Paul

9. This is why it's always a good idea to bolt them down firmly so they can't escape! :bag:

Paul

10. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    ive done alot of subwoofer recones over the years, they arent hard as long as you shim the VC properly.

11. Agreed but if you get it wrong you're out a $100 re-cone kit!

Paul

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just a simple +1 to the concept of reconing what you've got, providing it isn't actually "lost".

13. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, I still have the speaker.

It sounds like a big muff is blended in just under my tone, all fuzzy and distorted. A great tech I know concluded it needs be re-coned. I appreciate the sarcasm and the help guys.
    Thanks.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So did you look under a few things? It's sure to turn up somewhere.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'd just recone the EV15.
    I have a spare EV 15L I bought back in the mid 90's stashed in storage for 'just in case'. Knock on wood haven't needed it.

I've read good reports about the 3015LF here on TB, but I couldn't imagine needing more low end, and I like the crisp biting mids the EV's have been known for.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get a new cabinet, the 1516 is an atrocious design.

17. Did you check your pockets? Where did you leave it last?

18. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks for your opinion

19. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The clueless always seem to have an opinion, and said opinion(s) generally reinforce the fact that they are indeed clueless.

Were you happy with the cab before your woofer "went missing"? If so, why not recone the driver you have?
    IMO the chances of some amateur self proclaimed "internet guru" suggesting improvements that are actually fruitful on a tried and true sucessful design like your 1516 are about like your chances of winning the lottery.

Both can happen, just not very likely.