Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I love a 15" and like the punch of a 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kilian., Nov 10, 2005.

1. BUT

I don't want to lug around with a 210 and a 115 :eyebrow: A few details:
    - I play a peavey mark IV head, in our practise room I play that one over two 15" cabinets: good tone.
    - I really love that 'boom' the 15" speakers always seem to give me.
    - I like the way the 10" speakers growl, but I like the boom.
    - I absolutely hated the ampeg 4x10 / 8x10 setups I played, so that makes me wonder: do I want a 210?

My question is:
    is it possible to get that 'boom' out of an 210, so I would have a portable cabinet with punch and boom? I will be building my own cabinet with help of a professional speakerbuilding company and my dad (who has build speakers before).

The peavey puts out 300 watts @ 2 ohm and 200 @ 4 ohm.. What would be your advice in terms of a cabinet: 2 or 4 ohm? Is it possible to have the cabinet in 2 ohm when I use 10" speakers?

Anyone? :smug:

EDIT: oh and I live in the netherlands, so getting a schroeder will be too expensive etc etc. :crying:

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think you're a prime candidate for a 2x12.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Get an SWR Triad :bassist:

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I think any high end 2x10 or 15 cab would be able to give you the best of both worlds.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You might want to check out the Schroeder 21012 - could be your one box solution.

7. Jorg replied in a PM here and I've emailed him back, the only problem is that I don't want to buy such an expensive cabinet without trying it.

Here, on the used market, you can't sell almost 'everything' it always loses a lot of what it is worth. :meh:

I think I start to look into 212's a bit more, but the problem is that we don't have a lot of 212's around here. To be simple: next to none. I will try though..

Keep the thoughts coming please!

8. Try the Avatar B212; the Dutch importer is in Rotterdam so near you: http://www.gear4music.nl/
    I believe the B212 is 499,- euros in NL.

9. the mark IV is a great head, but If you can find an old peavey 1810/1820 or 1516 I think it would work well for what your looking for the 1810 has one 18 and two 10's. while the 1516 has one 15 and two 8's. I have owned the 1810 and wished I had never sold it. you just cant get the same rumble with 12's as you can with 15/18's. but for an all around speaker I think the 212 or 412 is a great choice.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Bergantino HT322. The ONLY cab you will ever need.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the HT322. Awesome cab, and I can't imagine *needing* anything else.

12. Hi. I live in Holland too !

I see yor point. For the same reason I consider very seriously the DR280, a do-it-yourself cab on www.billfitzmaurice.com. It has a single 12" but the cab design is very different. It measures 60x60x60 cm and weighs about 30 kilos, but is more powerful than a 2x15 ......

Pieter

13. Eddard

Eddard

Oct 28, 2005
    Spain
    EBS 2x12" Neo. Amazing sound and only 24 kg/53 lbs of weight. 600w @ 4 ohms.

14. +1