1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So i made an instructional video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Famuus, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    Hey

I made an instructional video on bass improv. Well it's not really an instructional, it's more a listing of basic tips for people who already understand the instrument.

Please tell me what you think.

Greetings From Belgium

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  2. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    Hump da bump?

No opinions?

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    over-playing can ruin a great guitar solo?

please elaborate. is that where rock & jazz separate? :chicken:

4. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I thought it was quite well done. From the start/title, it may be unclear whether you are referring to improvising a solo or a bass line, but overall the advice offered is solid.
    The only disagreement I may have, depending on the circumstances, is on your tip to not stretch beyond your comfort zone. On a gig (especially if a payed gig is at issue) I will tend to agree, but in a rehearsal/jam session situation I would be inclined to try new things. As the matter of fact, that is exactly when you should attempt to "raise the bar" on your own playing.

5. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    Hey thanks, yes maybe that came out wrong. I was refering from the standpoint of performing live. The idea was to quickly come up with something that was 'ok'. When i'm at home and i'm jammin to something and the camera is not on i immedialtly practice the stuff i'm not that good at. So i meant it well, it came out wrong.. :)

6. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    I feel that when a guitar player goes playing every single note possible. He shows that he knows his stuff but often kills the song.

Greetings

7. Famuus

Famuus

Feb 23, 2011
    Hump da bump?

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nice video, I like the look and sound, and your playing too, but since you ask for opinions ... to me that was maybe mostly about conventional bass line playing and not so much about soloing or improvisation. Play a groove and add licks at the end of verses, sort of. And rather conservative "don't overplay, don't ruin guitar solos, concentrate on the root note" outlook - i.e. stay very conventional. Nothing wrong with that, I sort of subscribe to that role myself, but not exactly what I expected in an instructional on improvisation. Maybe just change the title to "add some spice to your groove"? ;)