1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I made my decision... I think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theworldismad, Apr 25, 2010.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I have been posting alot of stuff about what bass that I should by, and probably have been annoying alot of people (as well as my self. Poor man's G.A.S.) Anyways under a wierd set of circumstances I have the money to buy a more expensive bass... I decided on a Schecter Baron 5. I made this decision over a G&L tribby l2500, ibanez atk305, and Fender 51 precision RI... all used and for the exact same price. I just want to know your opinion on whether or not I made the right choice.

2. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    I like the G&l,but that is just me...

3. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    So did I... but I am a succer for Hollow Tele bodies... and those are painfully hard to come by in the bass world.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Cool. Please post some clips if you get the chance.

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Did you play all the basses, or is this decision based on speculation?

If you've already got it what difference does it make what we think? If everyone tells you you made a bad choice are you going to change your mind?

I don't know anything about the Schecter, but I don't see how you can beat the pickups in the G&L.

6. I have not tried the G&L tribute l2500, but I'd own one just because if I could find one in the Hampton Roads area.

7. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    Sorry for not being clear. "I decided", as in I am within one hour of ordering it. And yeah I have not tried out the schecter, but you gotta see that this is one of those dream bass things. This bass has everything that I have been looking for. If I don't like it, I'll return it. Oh and the reason that I chose this over the tribby was because I really like the sound of MM stingrays, but could never afford one. This Schecter is very similar to a MM stingray. I really never even keep the neck pickup on on my current main bass anyways.

8. I wouldn't care for the G&L, '51 P or the ATK due to the weight and the thicker necks. I'd probably take the Schecter out of those choices too. Might be a good idea to check out Amazon.com before ordering because they usually have some absurdly low prices on Schecters in their instrument outlet.

9. I would go do some more homework
    I have bought basses on looks before and 7/10 times its a great buy
    but you get dogs too especially If you dont have the opportunity to play first

If you want a Stingray why not look into:

a used EBMM SUB - I think there's one for sale in the classifieds
    a new/used SBMM Ray34
    a used MTD Kingston Artist

Course all those basses you posted are a pretty wide spread in styles
    the Fender reissue and the Ibby ATK are polar opposites
    But hey worst thing can happen is you dont dig it you return it

10. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I know I have no idea why I felt drawn to the Fender. I played it once and something clicked. I did do alot of research on whatever I could find about the baron and was impressed with what I read... I know you should play before you buy but the problem is that this bass is, from what I read, pretty rare... and if I really like it I will never really know until I try it. http://www.musicgearreview.com/article-display/1231.html. Now, is it just me or is the humbucker ridiculously close to the bridge?