Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So... I might be getting a 72 precision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, May 23, 2005.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    But this is only maybe, so anyone wanna tell me how the Fender Japan 70's models hold up against the original? (Granted that some one have played both 70's basses and Fender japan 70's reissues...)

I allready own and love a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, so i know that Fender Japan are capable of Making Great Basses.

2. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I think i will not buy the Fender 72... cause, changing on the original hardware would be hard for me..

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've owned both a '76 Jazz Bass and a Fender Japan. The first thing you will notice about a '72 J-bass is the weight. '70's J-Basses typically weigh around 12 pounds so make sure you haven't got any back problems.

You'll also have to remove the neck if you want to make truss rod adjustments on it, personally I avoid early '70's J Basses for this reason alone.

Fender Japan Basses are great and they look beautiful and play just fine, IMO they are an ideal axe for upgrades, simply because the hardware is the only weak spot on these basses, the bodies and necks are equal or superior in quality to any American Fender. I have one right now and they are the next best thing to a GOOD PLAYABLE American Jazz Bass.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Sorry bout that. I don't know how I missed the title of this thread. It's a long weekend here so cut me some slack. :D

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Your excused, after all, i did mention Jazz Bass in there...;) but i allready have one :p

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How much is the '72 gonna run you? IMO there's nothing that beats the original, but the CIJ '70's Fenders are mighy close. Worth it depending on the price difference. I want to get one of the '70's P-basses from Ishibashi so I don't have to play my boat anchor live too often.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I think something needs to be a little more clear here about the title. The title to me looks like the guy is comparing an original '72 to a MIJ 70's reissue Precision bass, not a Jazz bass.

I've fallen out of love with MIJ Fenders. While they do have excellent craftsmanship, I got tired of the 'thick as a brick and hard as a rock' finishes. That kills the vibe for me.
    Also, I always find Fender-Japan never-ever gets the neck profiles right of anything in their reissue lines, so to me it never "feels" like what it's suppose to represent.

I do have a '72 Precision (alder body/rosewood board). It is very light and more vibey than any MIJ reissues I've owned in the past.

One important thing to note when comparing 70's Fenders: there were ash bodied ones and alder bodied ones. The ash ones were always much heavier (3-4lbs) than the early 70's alder. I don't even consider early 70's and late 70's to be in the same league, they're so different.

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    i gonna go with the mij, cause im gonna modify it to be much like Steve Harris's Bass for an Iron Maiden Tribute Band, something that i would have felt realy bad for doing against a original 72 precision.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I don't think the finishes are that thick and tough, I have some chips on mine where the wood or something shows. Probably about the same as an American I suppose.

11. I have 2 '71 Ps, and there's no way I'll ever part with them.

Just to reiterate what's been said earlier, there's a huge difference between early and late 70's. My two are a perfect medium-to-light. The 78J I used to have was a boat anchor. There's exceptions to this, obviously..!

More photos here...

[​IMG]

I think the early 70s basses are becoming more and more sought after. If it's a keeper, get it while you can afford it.

Mind you, one of the best basses I ever had was a MIJ Duck Dunn (see photos in link above). It was a beauty, and the lightest bass I have *ever* played. The hardware was crappy, though - this is often the case with MIJs. It's certainly been true with the ones I have owned.

12. Wateroftyne, I envy you greatly, I did not a bass in yout gallery that didn't cause me to gasp! That Walnut Precision Elite II is just so... and the 1972 telecaster bass... oh god, i need some Mylanta, cause I got gas!

13. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ok... im gonna go for the 72.. a fender japan i can get any time, A 72 Precision aint a thing you fall over everyday...