So I might get a Stingray....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karrot-x, Jun 21, 2004.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ok here's the deal, I've been searching for a new 4 string for about a year now. I kept going back and forth between a Stingray, Warwich Thumb nt and bolt-on, and a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman. I think I'm gonna just go with a Stingray it's really hard to choose but I had a Warwick 5 String Corvette and I don't have the money for a 5 string Thumb N/T which is what I think I'll get as my next bass. I'm going to get this 4 and designate it the slap*asorus*. Is there anything you have against the bass? Any owners want to tell me how amazing it is? Any reason why you think I shouldn't get it? May I now kiss the bride?

...sorry bad joke.
    ....but please answer these questions before 7 AM EST June 22 :) thanks.
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Im a stingray owner. These basses are awesome but you have to love them for what they are and their inherent problems. Most stingrays produce a great deal of fret noise and this gives a lot of people problems. I actually like this because it contributes to their aggressive sound and "grunt". The MM pickup also has a problem with making the G string sound too thin or weak. It can be minimized if your pickup is adjusted higher on the G-string side or you lower the action. Mine came with the G string's action set up significantly higher than the other strings so you'd have to press down for a greater distance to fret notes. Some say that the G string doesnt always line up well with the pole pieces of the pickup which may be a cause of this problem. Either way it's not that big of a deal in most playing conditions but you have to know what you're getting into when you buy a stingray.

As for strengths, the tone is awesome, the 3-band EQ rules and the neck is very fast and THICK. I think a bass guitar isn't a real bass guitar unless it has a nice chunky neck.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have a thumb and a stingray so i think im obligated to answer this. Get the stingray. I love it sooooo much. I like the thumb too alot, but the stingray is must such a cool bass i couldnt be happier with it. Out of all my basses thats the one id never sell or trade away. As far as workmanship they are about even, they both are made amazingly. The sound on a stingray is just unparalled in my opinion. Its durable as heck and the neck is about the fastest out there. Go with the stingray.
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks for the help guys, anything else you can think of?
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How about a StingRay 5?

Love mine; no string balance problems.
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I really want a 4 string right now, I can do everything I can on a 5 with my 6 so it's time to get a nice slap friendly bass. I also want to feel less lost in the fret board with the 4 :). Sort of a less is more type of deal.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Maybe a Bongo? A good deal more versatile, still has a Stingray sound, and it's got an unmistakable gut-busting punch.
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    My Problem with MusicMan Basses is, For the Price There is MUCH better...
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I dunno, I played a Bongo on Saturday that was $1499 for the price I'd ever seen.
  10. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Why not a Sterling. It has the same capabilities of a Stingray but you have the 3-way wiring for the hambucher (single coil+phantom coil/series/parallel). I have a Stingray 5 (which also has the Sterling's 3-way wiring stuff) and couldn't be happier. In the other hand, each time I play a Stingray 4 (no 3-way wiring) it feels very limited. The neck of the Sterling is also better (similar to the Stingray 5's, a little thinner than a Stingray).

Good luck...

11. I never had problems with my ray, it's the best buy I ever did :D Actually, I'd like to have a second one, because in our band e tune down half a step, and at home, I like playing some oldies rock, with regular tuning. I've also got a Warwick Corvette, but it just isn't as good sound, or looking, as the stingray.
    So I guess I'll keep on tuning and de-tuning:) (unless someone wants to trade :p )
  12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  13. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    As soon as the funds clear, it's on it's way!! If a slap bass is what you're after... You're gonna love it.
  14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Oh wow! Hello, I'm glad to see I bought it from a TB'er.
  15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Whatever... I've played or owned most of them and the Stingray has a certain quality and charm that most others don't have.
  16. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Yes sir! I'll be looking for a review.
  17. I've been a Stingray owner for 2 1/2 years now, and I appreciate the quality of its construction/workmanship more as time passes.

Its tone never gets boring to me, and it just feels right in my hands.

Get a 'Ray. You will never regret it. They are just about perfect, IMHO.

Great basses.

Sterlings are right up there with them.

Can't wait to try a Bongo.

Ernie Ball/Music Man = quality. ;)