Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I Placed An Ad...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stephanie, Mar 28, 2003.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I got a "Bassist Available" ad put up on a local website the other day. I stated that I was either looking for a band or just someone to jam with. LOL I didn't even think I'd get any responses but I have. Now I am realizing I don't know how to go about deciding to join any of these bands or what. I guess I make things more complex than they seem, but I have so many questions.

First, all ppl in my responses say they play rock music. One was even helpful enough to give me a copy of their old setlist. I was looking over the setlist and realize I only know how to play 2 out of the 14 songs listed. Half the songs I can't stomach (which is fine by me. I won't refuse to play b/c I don't like them). Another, said they play covers from bands like Good Charlotte and Blink 182....Korn...Another bands like Tool and Chevelle. Would I be wrong in going about asking how everyone learns the songs? I mean, I don't have any of these bands on CD nor plan to (and it's not like I have money to be buying CDs anyway) and I don't have a computer to download specific songs. I did email one person back about this and he said that they work out the songs together. I liked the sound of that.

By the way, I may not care for some of these bands they mention, but I'd pretty much be willing to play anything...Besides, these are the only replies I'm getting.

Second, and this is frustrating me, these ppl who responded to me, I have written them back asking where they are located...band names...etc...and none of them are answering my questions. I need to know where they are located. In my ad I mentioned I was in Scranton, and I know it's a local website, but I don't drive (ick, yeah I know, that's not good in a band situation, rather irresponsible of me), and the band could be a half hour away for all I know, which would be too far for me to get to rehearsals everyday. And I don't want to say "sure I'll come to an audition" and then they say where they are located and it's too far and then I'm left feeling like an idiot lol.

And it's funny no one has asked me what gear I have LOL. Because I'm sure they're not going to like it that I only have a practice amp (yet another drawback for me).

I feel rather disorganized with all this and maybe I was too quick in posting an ad. But my teacher and I both agree I need to "get out there". I just don't feel prepared at all.

Any suggestions, advice, or other questions I should be asking these bands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://www.talkbass.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=72

and here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=77

They are both audition related and may give you some insight.

Remember, as a knowledgeable TB'er once stated: "You are auditioning them as well".

Don't continually persue those that don't respond, if they can't get back to you in a timely manner, they may have motivation problems overall. And know if something is going to work for you. Don't be afraid to tell musicians that "you don't see a fit with me in this band". We all need to know that...Up Front. It saves everybody time. If you're ambitious, try getting into a band better than what your competency level is, ...and Rise to the Occasion!

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks for showing me those articles. :)

LOL I don't want to sound down on myself but I seem to be a good example of what not to look for when finding a band member - no transportation...no decent gear...bah!

Oh, and it's not that these ppl aren't responding quickly back to me because they are. It's that they aren't answering my questions. They just keep responding with "well we've been looking for a bassist for quite some time now. Please let us know if your interested so we can start getting things together..."

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Steph, are there any open mics in your area? I think this sort of thing may well be more up your alley for the following reasons:

- you get to play with different people all the time, meaning a wider variety of musical experiences;

- you aren't committed to anyone if you aren't in a band; you can do things at your own speed and go and play when you like. Distance shouldn't be an issue, there have to be a few nearby. How big is Scranton?

- no lead guitarist syndrome/lead singer syndrome

- lack of equipment won't be a problem; usually, someone else will have an amp, or you can go direct.

- This may not make much sense now, but playing songs you can't stomach will be satisfying for no longer than a few months, after which you will need to bring a pillow to rehearsals and even gigs, for when those songs are broken out.

IMHO open mics are a great way to "get out there". Not only do a bunch of different people get to hear you, but you also get to hear who else is "out there".

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Up in our neck of the woods, there is an
    'alternative' weekly paper that some bands
    advertise in for members. I have found a few
    situations that way.

As I have said before, g#$#$# players are
    quite common, [ dime a dozen] drummers and bass players are usually in high demand, as they carry a band. If you can establish a relationship with a decent drummer, you can often
    have much greater latitude in choosing the situation you want to play in. You can even switch
    genres. I knew one drummer who played in a rock band, CW band and a reggae band all at the same time, with different casts in each.

I agree with the last post, if you don't like what you are being asked to play, keep looking.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I used to go to open mics at this cafe (this was before I started playing bass and was still playing acoustic guitar) and had big hopes of playing at it, but the cafe closed down. :( I am sure there are other places. I will have to look into it. Scranton is a pretty big place, but the music scene (heck the whole culture of the city) is very shallow. You have to dig deep. I do have a more interest in this scene because of my interests in playing solo and all.

I guess what's really bothering me is the irresponsibility I feel with myself. I'd say I'm a decent player for only having been playing for 3 years, but I'm stuck with the question of how to get myself "out there" with everything that's holding me back. The bands my teacher has mentioned to me (jazz band, wedding band) unfortunately didn't work out and I don't want to have to rely on my teacher all the time for band inquiries, although grateful for it.

7. Stephanie,

I think you have a good attitude and passion for music. Be proud of this, and believe me, this will take you somewhere eventually, even if not right away.:)

You have two things that are no-so-much in your favor:

* A practice amp won't keep up with a live drummer. However, you may be able to borrow something or go thru your future band's PA (if adequate for this) until you can get a healthier bass rig.

* No transpo - yah, that's tuff also. There are tons of folks who survive daily life and even play in bands without a car, so be creative and find ways to get around.

Always focus on the positive and look for solutions, you'll be amazed in a few months when you look back and reflect on what you've accomplished.

Good luck.
    :bassist:

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That would be me who said that.

Hey Steph! Been a long time,

I know you're hungry to get out there and start jamming with people. Thats a good thing. I could be wrong, but its just a hunch here. I get the feeling that you dont particularly care for the style of music that people are propositioning you with, I get that impression from you saying that you dont ever plan on owning any of the groups cd's. Then you should forgo setting up an audition. IME/IMO it'll be a waste of both your time and theres. Reason being is if you dont like that style of music then the chemistry wont be right. And in the long run, you will probably be in an unhappy situation. A positive side to that is, do the audition and start to get your name out there.

One thing I make sure I find out upfront is where they are located. If they dont tell me that then I ask them one more time. If they still dont tell me, then I blow them off. I also blow them off if they dont answer my questions about how long theyve all been playing and gear issues. I also ask them upfront what the goals of the band are and what kind of gear I have.

Based on the gear you have, (mostly your amp) Id state in my ad, that Im just looking for some people to get together with ocassionally to jam for fun and at lower sound levels. Once I got a bigger amp/cab then Id post another ad stating that I was looking for a band. Reason being is, if they all have 4x12 or even 2x12 guitar setups, your amp is going to get drowned out and you wont be heard. However if the band is serious, they might have a PA systym, if I found out they had one of those, then Id go for the audition, since you can run your bass through the PA.

I hope all this makes sense, Id go into more detailed explanations, but Im very limited on time. When I have more of it, I'll shoot ya a more in depth PM.

BTW Good to see ya!

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good suggestions all around :)

Some other thoughts...

-You shouldn't have to go out and buy a bunch of CDs to learn a band's song list - they should be able to provide you with a burned CD or at least a cassette tape of the material.

-If you're not getting answers by email, try a phone call. Of course, if the other party continues to be vague or put off answering any question, it's not a good sign. I notice that there are a lot of folks who just don't communicate well by email. Also, a single phone call can cover the same ground as a several days worth of email exchanges.

-Although it's true that you will soon grow tired of playing material you don't like, you may not have the luxury of holding out for a group whose musical tastes coincide well with yours AND who mesh with your transportation and equipment limitations. I've been playing material I don't care for almost a year now, and haven't found a better band yet, despite a constant search! For me, it's better to be playing out than to be stuck just playing at home, even if I'm not enamoured with the material. Plus, the guys in the band I'm in have similar goals, level of interest and playing experience - which can be AT LEAST as important as being on the same stylistic wavelength.

Good luck - you'll find a good project if you hang in there. :)

10. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Wow. Lots to think about. Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Transportation - Yeah, this is a toughy. I seem to manage ok for not driving...course I don't get out much LOL :D But when I do, I manage.

Music Style - Well, these bands are listing lots of hard rock or pop punk stuff. I do like this kind of music, songs here and there. It's just the bands/songs listed seem a little-overused and it's like every band is playing the same exact thing LOL. I guess because they are in the mainstream of their genre. My rock tastes are more 'college radio-ish', rather eclectic.

Gear - I bet I could hook up with some acoustic guitarists at an open mic! :D As for borrowing gear, I unfortunately don't know anybody. Anyway, I'm starting to look into some cheap (but good of course) amps suitable for a small gig, small clubs, etc. (if anyone has any suggestions...). Don't know when I will be able to purchase one, though.

Anyway, I will email once more asking for locations on these ppl. If they don't respond...well...that's that. I know I need to email them back, but they leave me with nothing to email them back about LOL, just whether I want to be in the band or not (and I'm frankly unsure) and I don't want to keep them waiting for me to make a decision.

I think I'd feel more comfortable trying out an open mic while looking at "Looking for bassist" ads (in which I can inquire on my own about).

Thanks again everyone,
    Stephanie

PS: Nice to see ya around again Cass! :)

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    how to get your name out there tb thread

Thank Ya! Nice to see you too darlin. :)

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hmmm...I seem to be getting some kind of error message when I click on that link :( but maybe I can do a search and find it (or something similar).

So I emailed 2 ppl back asking for their location. The one responded (isn't located in Scranton) the other hasn't replied back. And I wrote back to this other person, the only one to give me a location when I first asked, but it wasn't in Scranton either; I said "sorry I'm going to have to pass" and that I was kind of looking for a Scranton band (hope that wasn't stupid of me to mention lol) so he wrote me back still and is like "it's not too far, I'm sure we can arrange a ride for you". They sound desperate don't they? LOL. I felt bad writing to him because this was the best, most professinal-sounding out of the responses, yet the one with the dullest song/band-listing. They are kind enough to offer a ride...but I'm sure in the long run they will get sick of it of course. So I'm really not sure what to say to him. Like was mentioned, I may end up feeling miserable being in a band like this.

*shrug*

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Hmmm...I seem to be getting some kind of error message when I click on that link but maybe I can do a search and find it (or something similar).

Steph, that thread is over in the Band Management and Performance section. It's a thread titled "Best Way To Find & Hook Up With a Band, Ideas?"

So I'm really not sure what to say to him. Like was mentioned, I may end up feeling miserable being in a band like this.

Just tell him something similar to what you just said there. Or just be brutally blunt. I dont think this band is going to be my cup of tea, I'll need some time to really think things over, or that you arent interested.

But if they are at least willing to arrage a ride for you to the audition, Do the audition, this way you can start to make a name for yourself. Then you have the option to politly pass the offer by or accept it if you choose, but the main thing is you started to get your name out there, and they may know someone who is looking for a bassist more suited to your liking.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Here's my suggestion Stephanie:

Since you don't have gear to gig with or transportation to haul it, treat this as an excercise in auditioning and as a indicator as to how your musical skills stand up to those that are looking for a bass player. I would go on every audition that I could, unless the players absolutely don't know what they're doing. This gives you practice auditioning and will increase your confidence when you audition. You will always come across songs/material that you aren't thrilled with or don't like, use that opportunity to add something to them to make at least you like them better.

When you get serious about gigging and find a band that you like, you should have gear and your own transportation.

16. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks, Cass. I'll have to have myself a look over there. :)

Thanks again everyone for your input. I do feel I need a little time to think things over, perhpas rushed a bit with placing an ad somewhere. Oh well...I am thinking about maybe emailing the one person and asking if I can just get together and jam with the band for now.