So I played a Bongo yesterday..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. and okay, yes, I'll admit it. It sounded awesome.

still looks hideous, though ;)
  2. I played a groove tool 5 string.

Looked cool, played good, sounded good. Not worth the $700 for it's usedness.

Still a nice bass though.
  3. I just hate the headstocks on bongos! i'm sure they sound great...but i can't bring myself to throw that kinda dough on something so horrid looking
  4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it is an ugly ugly thing.

i played one a few weeks ago. sounded good. IMO there wasn't enough room for the right hand to work. to much stuff going on over there.
  5. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    My only qualm with it is the neck pup being too close to the 24th fret... NO room :(
  6. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    :) When I opened up the BP in which the Bongo is reviewed and turned to its review, my FIRST thought was 'cool headstock!'.
  7. It isn't that it's just ugly, although it's certainly that. It's also that it's made out of cheap materials. The knobs, pots, whatever you want to call them, feel cheap and cheesy.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Here we go again. The ESP'er bashing Bongos. Why don't you tell us where it was that you actually played one and all the specs...
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    $700 used??

I would guess not. Not when you can get them new for the same price!!
  10. I played DoD just a few minutes ago.
  11. i played one at Corner Music (only for a few minutes though) because I was too wrapped up in playing their KSD ProtoJ's!
  12. cods

Sep 16, 2003
  13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I take it you are intimately familiar with both 'cheap' and 'cheesy'.
  14. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    My favorite thing about the Bongo (besides the awesome tones you can dial straight out of the bass) is the way that the knobs look and feel. I guess I just have a thing for basses made out of cheap materials.
  15. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    You think that's bad. I played a mandolin yesterday! I swear it's just like a bass. except instead of four fat strings there are eight skinny ones in pairs of two and it's strung upside down. And if you believe that one...
  16. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I had the same experience with it... it sounded nice but the lack of space between the fretboard and the neck pickup made it difficult for me to play. :(
  17. Don_Cholo

Apr 2, 2004
    i have a 1979 gibson G3 and the bongo looks just like it only smaller. well actually it is pretty nasty looking. sorry. plays really nice though, i've already started to save up for one.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    blah, blah, blah, blah, blooba. bleev blah bappa blah, bla blabba blo bleen. bla, blah bla bla bla blab blabber ble blu bla bla.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Awwww... is somebody have Bongo issues? Isn't that cute.
  20. THANK YOU!!!! Nice to know I'm not the only one irked by this. That damn neck PU makes it impossible for me to pop the D/G strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.