Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I played a Curbow...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ... Well a Cort Curbow 6 string at Guitar Center, With the Bartolini PUP. WOW what a bass, Maple neck, I beleive the fretboard was ebony, but I wasnt paying much attention to that, Since I was too busy drooling over how good it played, That thing was loud and proud. The neck was smooth, Thin and Much like a Jazz, It wasnt too wide at at the nut either(for 6er status) I'd say it was a litle more than 2 inches. It had a brown finish with a matching headstock. It didnt say it on on the GC card, So I dont know the exact name. The B wasnt muddy at all, And had a great sound to it. The highs were great too, Clear and bright. I didnt try the slap switch, But then again I'm not a huge fan of slapping(or that great at it, Especially on a 6) The action was a little high by my standards, But acceptable, Too high to do any tapping though. The bass was very playable, all over the neck. I give the the bass a 9 out of 10. The one point lacking because of finger placement. It if had a second Bart, or a finger rest just to the left of the original. It would be 10/10. When resting on the one pickup i felt like i was reaching too far, plus i dont like playing with my fingers that close to the bridge, Im not a fan of the sound you get when you play close to the bridge. The best part was the price, 299.99. Ive played much more expensive basses that didnt play as good as this. Hell this bass might even be my first 6er if Someone doesnt get it before I do. I hope no one does, But i have bad luck when it comes to these situations. Anyone here own a 4 string Cort Curbow, or a real Curbow? Long term ups/downs?

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I own a 4 stringer. My only complaint is when you play sitting down. It slides off your leg.

It's a decent bass.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  4. GoLow

GoLow

Jun 21, 2005
    Georgia
    The bassist at my church has a 6. When you first open the case, it smells a little "petroleum-y". I think that's the luthite the body's made of.

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC

well, not really, it's thin layers of birch compressed together to get extra hard, and then they coat it in plastic. so it's like wastic.

Great basses, but if you want 2 PUs, go with the artisan (also sounds great) and you could always switch out the pickups for Barts.

good luck, you're lucky you found one.

Greg

6. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    +1

I had a Cort Curbow for a while and it never lost that smell.

Played great and sounded good, however.

[​IMG]

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Had one exactly like this and I liked it well enough. The problems I had with it (and the reasons I eventually traded it) concerned its neck-heaviness and the overall "thin" tone which I attribute to the body material and the MK pickups/preamp.

I loved the way the neck felt and played, however. I just can't bring myself to own another non-wood bass.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're thinking of Rockwood/Dymondwood which is thin birch laminates impregnated with resin and heated.

Ebonol is not birch. It's more comparable to the material of black bowling balls.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, this is what I've read about Ebonol, (Micarta), and no real wood is used (not considering paper to be "wood", that is anyway)...

"Micarta is a close relative of the material used for PC boards. It's a hard, dense plastic created by applying heat and pressure to layers of cloth, paper, or glass/graphite cloth impregnated with phenolic resin. The pressure and heat polymerizes the layers into a thermo-set laminated plastic. They make everything from knife handles to countertops out of the stuff. Some guitar makers (Steinberger, Parker, and others) use it for fingerboard material. In this application, it's sometimes called Ebonol. Micarta is very resistant to heat, solvents, abrasion, and chipping, and stands up well to abuse. It makes an ideal nut material."

So yeah, it's a composite material, but IMHO, I really wouldn't compare it to wood, or consider it to have any real wood-like qualities at all.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, that's right. I found that info too, but didn't post it, 'cause it didn't get into what it was made of, which is what I was trying to recall/find.

The main reason it was so popular for those is 'cause it was specifically designed to resist chipping as well as deformation.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I think this is Zon's Phenowood, too.