Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I played a Geddy Lee Signature today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Oct 25, 2005.

1. and it was merely okay.

First off, I was definitely impressed by the aesthetic of the instrument when I first caught a glimpse at it. The block inlays are rather elegant and really do the subtle beauty of the jazz bass justice. Having owned many bass' that have BAII bridges, the look never grows old, so it definitely had mojo on its side with the mass chrome bridge and black block inlays/neck binding. It really had that killer 70's jazz vibe down.

I took the girl down and plugged'er in. Playing felt really easy on the bass, but the finish on the neck drove me a little nuts. It was far too thick for my liking and really hindered speed, which is strange because my 4003 has a finished neck but it really isn't... well, again, as thick as the Geddy's. The neck profile is really comfortable too, but people tend to go overboard in their praise, which set me up to be just a bit let down.

After fiddling with the bass for a while, I picked up the Marcus Miller sig next to it, which I owned at one point, and A/B'd the instruments and determined that in terms of bang for buck, I'd stick with the Lee over the Miller 'cause the preamp on the Miller is just too weak for my liking, with no real cut and no true passive tone. In terms of feel, the Miller felt a bit more substantial in my hands, but again, the pre was just irksome. Both had pretty annoying hum, but that is to be expected from vintage Fender single coils and could be easily fixed with proper shielding.

Basically, my determination from my Fender adventure today, is that if I were to buy a Lee signature, the first thing that would happen, would be a sand-down of that neck finish because it's just plain nasty.

If you're looking to buy one for the aesthetic, go for it, it really is quite something to behold in person. The tone is pretty tight too, with the bridge being a bit "snappier" than that of the more recent J incarnations.

2. I HATED teh first GL Signature I played, honestly, the neck was wayyyy to glossed. Then I went to a different music store, the neck wasn't as glossed (possibly used or sanded down) and it was one of the best fenders I'd ever played. The sound is phenomonal!

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I personally liked the Geddy.

Go Figure eh?
    :rolleyes:

4. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Japanese Geddy and the Mexican Classic 60's Jazz Basses are among the best values in Fender's entire line IMHO. Try several tho - Fender's quality is anything but consistant.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love the Geddy but aren't a fan of the neck. I'm a Precision necked Jazz bass guy to the grave.

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    After playing my new Warick Thumb, it's hard to pick up the Geddy with that profile. I still really like it, and think the gloss is a benefit personally.

7. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    A little bit of talc goes a long way on those glossy necks.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...as does a bit of #0000 steel wool. :D

Hey, I'm a Jazz neck guy to the grave and even I can find the GL neck @ the nut to be a bit thin, veering into Ibanez territory. Then again, us less fleet-fingered learning the Rush back catalog can use all the advantages we can get. ;)

9. What's so bad about Ibanez territory :ninja:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, I still have my first Soundgear, have NOTHING against Ibani.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    As do I - look at the sig, no Ibanez bashing here. I was just stating a fact, that the majority of their basses have smaller/thinner necks then their counterparts.

See how I pulled it all back to Geddy - "Counterparts"? :help:

12. Offtopic on :

I played a sdgr400 of ibanez some time ago, his electronics are bad, i was always shaking on stage, fearing that he shuts up...

It was my only bass on that moment...

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really? Same model I had and I loved it, the electronics were pretty good and as long as I replaced the battery every 5-6 months I was good.

I sold the preamp to a friend who fried his and switched to a passive Dimarzio setup in it's place and I frankly like it better. I've since found I'm much more a passive kind of guy.

14. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Steel wool makes me chafe ;)

15. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I generally go for playability and construction over electronics when looking around for new basses, that can at least be fixed to your liking. I'm not really a fan of the neck on the Geddy Lee, I'm almost more comfortable with a bigger neck.

Go for the Marcus, then shield it and put a j-retro pre in.

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Ibanez guitars have been getting a bit of a rough ride lately.
    I think their lower end models ( Roadgear??) aren't helping their reputation. That said, I had an sr300dx and an srx300 and they were both great value for money. I still have my 84 roadstar and she aint going anywhere anytime soon :cool:

17. Not mine, the battery was replaced maybe 2 times in one year. But i had lots of problems with him...

Didn't like his sound, i'm a passive kind of guy to :) That's why i own a Geddy Lee :) I guess the woods on the body, aren't the best on the SR400...

18. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I actually love the feel of the Geddy neck, I put one on a Warmoth body because my friend Bill didn't want his - he was experiencing cramping due to the smaller neck profile - he put a maple/rosewood MIA Precision neck on the Geddy body so we each got a great jazz bass in the deal.

I think either he or I have re-told that story in about 4 different threads now, lol...

19. Had the pleasure of playing one of those yesterday actually, I really liked it.

I played the Geddy and I've played the Miller, I liked the Miller more, but it wasn't for me. Those necks are pretty dreamy though.

20. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I picked one up today at guitar center and I can say at that price there is no better bass that I have played for the price. It is really solid and sounds amazing. The neck is tiny I love it!!