Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So i played a Peavy Cirrus today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, May 30, 2005.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    walked into my local music store, who has always sucked, and are finaly going out of buisness.

Low and behold, a gem in the mix of all the MIM fenders and cheap ibanez basses..

A Bubinga toped Cirrus 4 string.....with a price of 1k. Thinking to myself..what a steal..i picked her up and pluged it in.

Now, from all the good i hear about peavy basses, the quality was great, the looks were great...but jeez, how can you stand the narrow spacing on those things!!! It was impressive sounding, but i couldnt personaly use that thing worth a darn!

just my unwanted .02

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Cirrus are good basses,is my opinion.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :confused: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
    Granted, Cirrus 5 and 6 strings use narrow 17mm spacing,
    but the 4s use standard 3/4" spacing.
    What are you talking about?

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, assuming it was brand new, it`s a great price.

I`ve owned many basses and the Cirrus isn`t narrow. I`d consider it as standard being 3/4. Their ABM bridge is fully adjustable, so may be it was set that way.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    felt very narrow to me at the bridge and neck...could just be me though

the neck was nice, good and thick..but still wasnt my cup of tea.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Keep in mind, even the 4 string is 35" scale. Don't know if that had any effect on the narrow feel. As someone else said, the ABM bridge might have been set in (narrow).
    BTW, $1000 is not a steal. I had a local dealer quote me $950 last year. Used ones, excellent condition, w/case frequently go for under $600 on eBay (saw one go for $450 once).

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    for the options this guy had it was

Hipshot hardware, peizos, figured bubinga top, it odly looked like wenge fb.

ive played plenty of 35 inch scale basses, this one just felt odd, not in a bad way, just in a "not me" way

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Piezos would be the only thing non-standard.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well then I royally got screwed :) I bought one at a music store, on SALE, for $1100. I had to return it because of multiple issues, but I just bought another one from MF for $1400 (my only other option to buy one).

The ABM bridge is adjustable with the string spacing? How so?

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I love the fives and sixes. But for some reason the four-string neck seems too skinny to me. They are awesome basses though. I could really see myself with a Cirrus.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think so. Last time I checked, they all use the same ABM bridge, which is fixed at 17mm spacing with enough adjustment you MIGHT get to 18mm, but that'd be pushin' it.

As a side note, 17mm is actually "standard" for a 5 and "narrow" for a 4. 19mm is actually "wide" for a 5 by traditional standards even tho it's generally more preferred these days for slapping space.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    We're talking about spacing period, not what bass it's on. 19mm (3/4") is considered standard.

All ABM bridges are not created equal. The 4 string that Peavey uses is 19mm (give or take due to the saddle adjustability). Although Peavey uses the (narrow) 17mm for their 5s & 6s, they are available in many other widths (some even wider than 19mm) for 5, 6 and more strings.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'm not so sure about that. I haven't done a recent survey, and maybe 19mm is what we now consider to be "standard", but that's more of a recent development if so. Last time I checked (about a year ago) 17mm was "standard" (as in most commonly used by multiple manufacturers) and anything wider was considered "wide" spacing (like the "wide" option on Warwicks, tho that's actually 20mm).

I know that, which is why "what bass it's on" does matter. By "standard" I didn't mean standard for Peavey... I meant across the board.

Ok, I only have a 5 and a 6, and have not checked out a 4, but I thought they all used the same ABM model spec-wise (except for the number of strings). Thanks for the update. :)

P.S. I still think yer avatar is hilarious... my daughter can get pretty darn goofy... I might see what she can do... :)

14. The bridge is adjustable anyways. I have 18mm on my 5 string

15. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I found the spacing at the bridge o.k. but it was too tight at the nut.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You're still talking as it applies to a certain bass, or the terminology the particular manufacturer wants to use. I've seen many manufacturers, who make their 5s with 19mm spacing, refer to it as "standard" (or standard 3/4").
    20mm would be considered "wide".....since 19mm is "standard". :smug: ;)

The 5 and 6 (on the Cirrus) are the same specs, but not the 4.

Thanks. That's a couple years old now and he's come up with a few new ones. No pix yet.:D

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, quite the opposite for the same reasons you just said...

Exactly, in other words, what's considered standard for one vendor is not standard for another, which is why my comments were intended to be non-product specific.

In other words, Lakland's "standard" spacing is actually "wide" by traditional convention (which is what I'M calling a (defacto industry) "standard").

Bottom line is, we're caught up in semantics, and the main point is, the Cirrus 4 is wider than the 5's and 6's, and I don't care if you were right and I was wrong about it, I still think you're cool. :)

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    True.
    You're right about that one.;)