So......I played a Ric today....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaronious, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    ....and it was glorious!!!!
    So warm and fat!

Now I want one. See tell me TB, what do I need to be on the lookout for when I get one?

Sartori, Strung_Low, armybass and 4 others like this.
  2. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Imitators

3. todd0864

todd0864

Mar 9, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Which Ric?

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I would look both ways before crossing the street... Don't forget about motorcycles, also. Seriously, you'll know when you see it... You'll think to yourself, "Where have you been all my life, gorgeous?". Standard protocols apply, regarding who is selling it, and how it was used, and/or abused, as with anything up for sale. Using your words, when you get one, I would be on the lookout for awesomeness!

CatSquare likes this.
  5. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    A 4003

6. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Look at WildWood. Best prices, best service, best set up and inspection. They even let me send a treble bezel (something you might want to look into) to them and installed it free of charge.

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This + a million. Wildwood is great and they know a good Ric from a lemon (which there are plenty of stories about). For the most part Ric's are quality instruments with a few minor quirks. You really want someone knowledgeable about Ric's sending you your new Ric. Plus their prices can't be beat.

8. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    The main thing I wasn't aware of when I bought my first Rickenbacker was, how addicting they are to play. Just ask my ex-wife ;).

9. +1 on Wildwood, I've always had a good experience with them.
    And also North Coast Music, I purchased my last brand new Ric from there.

D Bopp, nixdad and Coolhandjjl like this.
  10. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Don't be dumb like me and buy from MF sight unseen. I got lucky and love mine but have heard too many tales of people who weren't as lucky.

hintz and Ductapeman like this.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    woodyng2, farace and nixdad like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also -
    If you play with fingers and really want to bring out the voice of the Ric, do yourself a favor and learn how to play with a pick. This changed everything for me.

On the other hand, if you're a fingers player and love the tone you've already achieved, stick with what works for you.

Just get a Ric.

Oh...and string with flats if that works for you. Thomastik T-1's, specifically.

Good luck on your journey!

13. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    Another yes for Wildwood.

nixdad likes this.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Wildwood is pretty amazing, not just for Rics. They have insane stuff.

nixdad and Tanner5382 like this.
  15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Yet another mention for Wildwood. Fantastic service, free shipping, awesome people and great out-of-the-box set-up.

nixdad likes this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    There have been a couple of nice ric's available locally but i'm afraid the owners mistakenly believe the entire bass world is composed of nothing but ric admirers, at least that portion of the bass world that truly matters. Like any hobby/occupation, the woods are full of halfassers and wannabes so why should the bass world be any different?

I called about one and when the owner discovered i was not a current or previous ric owner, he talked himself out of a potential sale by talking to me like i was a clueless knob for not already being on the ric bandwagon. That his ric should go to someone who could fully grasp the inherent gravity included in the purchase of such a perfect example of bass greatness. The other one was priced waaaaay higher than the national average for that particular piece and when i called and asked if the price was firm, the owner hung up.

Hawk600 and El-Bob like this.
  17. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I read that Rick necks vary a lot. I've played a few so far and never liked the feel, so I'm still looking for one that would convince me. If you found it, make sure yours has a similar neck...

nixdad likes this.
  18. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I love my Rics. Let me suggest one thing, though--a lot of folks buy a 4003 and then start modifying it by changing the bridge/tailpiece, pickups, etc. (none of those things bother me; I love the quirks of any particular instrument). Try a 4004, too, if you think you might be wanting to change things right off the bat. It's basically the same neck-through construction, same body shape, but has a more conventional bridge, humbucking pickups, lighter tuners. If I get a new Ric in the future, I'm definitely going to check out a 4004.

Also, I know there are reputable online dealers, but I'm a fan of buying local when possible, and it gives you a chance to try before you buy.

19. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I too am a fan of buying local, but since Ric dealers are somewhat rare, many of the local/independent guys charge way too much for them (and the chains charge too much too). For example, my local Ric dealer charges a ton for them, practically MSRP. I saved 400 dollars by buying online. I've never really seen this with any other brand than Rickenbacker. Not to mention the fact that too many stores have no idea how to work on them/set them up.

nixdad, armybass and farace like this.
  20. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I'm lucky to have a dealer about a half-hour away, and when I bought my new 4003 last year, I got a discount from the tag price. (Then they were also able to order parts for me for my '83 at a discount from Ric list price and no shipping cost, unlike when you order directly from Ric.) One of the reasons I wanted an official dealer, too, was to make sure I got the factory warranty, which I'm sure you'd also get from the reputable online dealers. I only mention this because I've seen some new Rics online at seemingly great discounts, but they don't include a warranty.

I have heard nothing but good comments about Wildwood and also Pick of the Ricks. If I didn't have a dealer nearby, I'd definitely be looking at them.

Tanner5382 and nixdad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021