Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So i played a Spector NS2000 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yesterday i went to the guitar shop and played their 5 strings (id say they had about 8 of em or so, its not a huge shop). Mainly i was interested in trying the Spector, and i did. What can i say except wow. I played it for probably 30 minutes straight before even putting it down to try anothher bass. I also played a Spector Rebop 5 and was not as impressed. THe B string was tighter on the NS2000. Everything about this bass felt good. I hope if i ever buy one.. (itll be off ebay bc i wont have enough money for a new one for a while) itll be as good.

question: Does the floppiness of a B string vary from bass to bass or should several basses of the same model be pretty consistent?

2. The B strings on NS2000's are usually pretty consistent. I'd put high tension strings on though, just to make the B really tight(DR Lo-Riders are a good choice).

The Rebop's are bolt on, so that could be why they're not as tight on the B - a bolt on needs a lot of expertise to get tight, whereas a cheap neck through can get a generally better B.

You should see the B on the Czech Spectors, it's awesome. I think the US Bolt-On Spectors will have slightly better B's though, probably better necks. That's why I'm getting one of each this year :D .

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ho w much does one set of DR Lo riders run for (5 string set of course)

4. They run me about £30, thats roughly $45. You'll get them a lot cheaper.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^^ Actually i thought the NS2000 WAS a bolt on...

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The NS2000 Qs are, the NS2000 /s (as in /4 or /5) are the neckthroughs. I have an NS2000/5 Killer bass, excellent B string, and has a neck that fits me like a glove.

Love me some Spector.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which is better, the Qs or not Qs.. ill have to check which one i played now....doh.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im thinking it was a Q5 because it only cost $500... that would be awesome because i loved it and i think the Q5's cost less than the other ones.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If it was neck through, it wasn't a Q. The Qs are bolt on, and have a satin finish on the neck. The neck throughs have a gloss finish the color of the rest of the bass.

If you could see the wood on the neck, then it was a Q. If it was the color of the bass, it was a NS2000/ model.

I personally consider the NS2000/'s to be the better of them.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea im pretty sure it was a Q now. Im not dissapointed at all. Im actually relived. I cant afford a Ns2000/5 at the moment (they cost around $300 more..) and if i liked the Q that much, yay. I plan on eventualy upgrading the pickups..dunno with what yet, who knows.

11. I tried an NS2000 5string at Soundcontrol in the Oxford St. megastore- they sell them for £499.

well made, looked great (transparent black), but I couldn't get to grips with the narrow string spacing at the nut and bridge.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Weenie. Actually, the spacing at the nut isn't too bad, and I've yet to worry about the string spacing. It's 1.85 or some such at the nut, wich is greater than a lot of 45mm (or 1.75") basses, which seem to be in the majority of 5ers.

13. hmmm. how wide is an MTD Kingston at the nut?

I tried one and got on fine with it- suggesting it's narrow bridge spacing I have trouble with mostly.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1.75" (45mm) at the nut and 19mm (3/4") string spacing at the bridge.

15. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    i have a ns2000/5 neckthru i would be willing to part with for $450 .. it's only a year old .. i just got a stingray and the spector doesn't see much playing time anymore you can email me at shikee24@yahoo.com

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shikee that sounds cool and all but im only gonna have $325 tops, sorry.