So I played an SVT1000 and a GBE600 today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockapede, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I went to my favorite music store (Springfield Music) today to play around... I can't ever really seem to afford anything so that's what I do usually. Oh well. Anyway I saw an Ampeg SVT1000 head on top of a Classic 4x12, a thought that intrigued me (4x12 cab, big solid state Ampeg head). I plugged a J into it and wow...I just didn't like it at all. It didn't sound sound at all like what I have come to expect Ampeg to sound like...tinny, anemic low end with not nearly the volume I expected for such a large cab and wattage rating. It was saddening, really.

I walked around the display and saw this Genz-Benz GBE600 on top of their NeoX 112 and 212 cabs. Having never heard a Genz-Benz amp I didn't really know what to expect, but was floored when I started playing. It was very loud, much louder than the SVT (Springfield Music is great about letting me turn up) with a well balanced, in-your-face sound. I was using the tube pre with the gain at about half, bass slightly over flat, mids at about 3 o'clock, and treble attack button engaged. It had gorgeous bottom end with super punchy mids and sweet highs...quite possibly the best sounding rig I've played through, though I may be revealing my limited experience. I think the vertical array of the drivers helped, and it sure looked cool. When I got done I took a look at the head's back panel and realized only the 212 was plugged in. Wow. I connected the 112 and was even more amazed. Pricing was $879 for the head, $299 for the 112, and $459 for the 212, and seemed very fair. Sorry for the long post, but I have GAS. A lot.
  2. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Genz-Benz is one of life's largely-undiscovered treasures. "Gotta' Getta' Benz" will be a household slogan before too long. They join a nice list of amps worth checking out. EA, Aguilar, and some other small-ish manufacturers can really make your heart grow fonder and your tone grow better. :)
  3. I've gotta get access to EA and Aguilar then. I've read a lot about them, but none of the stores here carry them so I haven't played either. I think the cabs were the biggest plus about the rig...that 2x12 was so loud...simply astounding, and a great value. You have no idea how badly I want that rig :D .