1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I played an SVT1000 and a GBE600 today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockapede, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I went to my favorite music store (Springfield Music) today to play around... I can't ever really seem to afford anything so that's what I do usually. Oh well. Anyway I saw an Ampeg SVT1000 head on top of a Classic 4x12, a thought that intrigued me (4x12 cab, big solid state Ampeg head). I plugged a J into it and wow...I just didn't like it at all. It didn't sound sound at all like what I have come to expect Ampeg to sound like...tinny, anemic low end with not nearly the volume I expected for such a large cab and wattage rating. It was saddening, really.

I walked around the display and saw this Genz-Benz GBE600 on top of their NeoX 112 and 212 cabs. Having never heard a Genz-Benz amp I didn't really know what to expect, but was floored when I started playing. It was very loud, much louder than the SVT (Springfield Music is great about letting me turn up) with a well balanced, in-your-face sound. I was using the tube pre with the gain at about half, bass slightly over flat, mids at about 3 o'clock, and treble attack button engaged. It had gorgeous bottom end with super punchy mids and sweet highs...quite possibly the best sounding rig I've played through, though I may be revealing my limited experience. I think the vertical array of the drivers helped, and it sure looked cool. When I got done I took a look at the head's back panel and realized only the 212 was plugged in. Wow. I connected the 112 and was even more amazed. Pricing was $879 for the head, $299 for the 112, and $459 for the 212, and seemed very fair. Sorry for the long post, but I have GAS. A lot.

2. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Genz-Benz is one of life's largely-undiscovered treasures. "Gotta' Getta' Benz" will be a household slogan before too long. They join a nice list of amps worth checking out. EA, Aguilar, and some other small-ish manufacturers can really make your heart grow fonder and your tone grow better. :)

3. I've gotta get access to EA and Aguilar then. I've read a lot about them, but none of the stores here carry them so I haven't played either. I think the cabs were the biggest plus about the rig...that 2x12 was so loud...simply astounding, and a great value. You have no idea how badly I want that rig :D .