Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So...I played Halo 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, May 14, 2004.

1. God yes it was awesome!

I went to a video game convention called E3 (think of it like NAMM for nerds) these past few days with the hope of being able to at least see Halo 2 and other awesome games (Halflife 2, Fable, Fight Club, Splinter Cell 3).
    Now, all of those were available for public viewing and playing except Halo 2. That almost made me want to just leave. I guess the fan base is too huge, and everyone would want to crowd around it and it would be chaos.
    So it was only available for the Press, and even then they had to make appointments. Luckily, my friend's and I talked and flirted our way in (I'm not kidding), and got to play it for like 30 minutes!

Brief overview:

Battle Riffle: Outrageously accurate zoomed in, I think this will be the new powerful weapon like the pistol.

Light sword: Has potential to be awesome, but I think that odds are you will be shot before you can get into close range.

Needler: No longer sucks! The needles are hard to see, and pack a punch.

Kicking people off vehicles: Awesome if you time it right.

Dual wielding: I was unstopplable with the SMG and the Needler.

It was amazing, and it isn't even done yet! Official release date: 11-9-04

Oh yeah, and Fable was awesome too.

2. MY GOD!! THEY ACTUALLY HAD A WORKING PLAYABLE DEMO THIS YEAR?!?! :eek:

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    :p My thoughts exactly.

I'm hoping they can stick to that release date. How many times can it be delayed? :meh: Oh well, I'm sure Bungie is using their time wisely...

Dual wielding? That is sweet. I hadn't heard about that.

:bassist:

4. They could release this when I'm 50, it doesn't matter because they had a working demo this year!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sweet. you lucky bastard. You didn't compromise your integrity did you? (unless it was that delightful Morgan Webb, that would be OK).

6. How did you get into E3?!?!?!?!?

I hate you. Alot.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

Ha! Now we know he made the whole thing up. The needler can't not suck.

8. I remember at Halo parties people who were killed with the needler became the group "bitch" and it was the biggest dishonor possible. Man, those were the days.

9. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Good call, Super Duck. Oh, I can just imagine the group I play Halo with will do with the sword.

10. I ****-on-your-chest-for-sexual-pleasure-not! I was kickin ass dual-wielding a needler and a SMG.

No integrety was comprimised. Well, at least for someone with no integrety to begin with.

How did I get into E3? An aquaintence of mine called and asked, "Hey, do you wanna go to E3 for free?"
    I said, "Ok."
    I guess he figured some crazy ass complicated pyramid scheme plan that allowed him to get as many people in as he wanted for free! He's just a part time worker at Game Stop.

BTW, 11-9-04 is the FIRST OFFICIAL relase date. Everything else you have ever heard was not official.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    That's what I'm saying. "Backwhacks/Pistol whips" are the biggest killer most of the time, unless we're talking Blood Gulch or Sidewinder or something huge like that. I wonder if it'll be one of those "one hit one kill" things?

I've really just gotten into the Halo craze. My friends have been playing for A LONG time, so they're A LOT better than me. I plan on maybe buying an Xbox this summer, so hopefully I can get sorta caught up.

Questions, spanky......

is the gameplay basically the same? What about areas/levels/stages (everybody calls them something different :p )---are they still the same? Any new and exciting additions?

EDIT: What in the world is an SMG? Am I missing something really simple?

12. Gameplay is pretty much the same, it seems like you can jump higher though. I only played one small demo level, but I've been reading some good stuff on the other multiplayer levels, I'm sure a quick google will get you that info.

SMG is a small automatic machine gun.

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok I'm seriously jealous............ :spit:

14. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition one, with the metal tin box and the extra DVD. It was only 5 bucks more, so i figured "what the hell".

15. And where is the part where you snatch all the demo software from the dev's and put it online to share with your fellow bassists?

... you DID do that didn't you? :eek:

16. What I'm VERY excited about is Half-Life 2. It's going to be simply amazing.

And let's not forget all the mods are in development/will be in development for it!

They're porting Natural-Selection, and Hostile intent sometime for it. (my 2 favorite mods) I'm pretty sure they're doing a DOD remake too, and i've seen a converted CS.

I dunno about HALO 2, I havn't heard much about it. I've played HALO at friends' houses, and it's good for some quick deathmatches with a few people. That game makes even CS look slow-paced and tactical. (did I use the terms "CS" and "tactical" in the same sentence?? :eek: )

17. 11-9-04, that is a looooooong time.

18. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    halo contends even with the most grand of grand.
    it's all about the pistol whip/ melee action.

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I liked using the needler. :(

20. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    You suck and no one likes you.

But honestly, that's freaking awesome, i can't wait until November. (i'm guessing they'll move it up to the 15th of November, AKA the 3rd anniversary of XBOX, they love releasing big things on that day).

But nice, you are freaking lucky.