1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, I played in Church this past Sunday....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Phalex, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I played 2 services yesterday and I have a third one tonight at church. I am what you would cal an "emotive" player. If I'm having fun (and playing bass on stage is fun) it's pretty obvious that I'm having a blast.

Yesterday several people came up to tell me how much they enjoyed seeing me play. I realize I look like an idiot, and at one point I caught myself headbanging....:ninja:

My usual response is: "I'm sorry."

Should I appologize for acting like an idiot on stage with the P&W team?

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Non capisco. People said they dug what you did. What makes you feel like you should apologize?

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    No, you shouldn't. You should play what you feel. If physically emoting is a part of your style, so be it.

4. No, but you might want to consider a different bass - like a super-pointy BC Rich with flames on it. Or a Mothman - great church basses, those.

5. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    What's the best metal bass for church?

6. If people are saying good things, then you are doing good!

I played at a church for awhile, and I was told I "brought attention away from the Lord and onto myself." I hated that ********.

7. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I just thought it was funny, that people seemed to like what I was doing. The percussionist said he had to stop looking at me because he was cracking up.......

8. Sounds like you are a breath of fresh air!

9. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Deep down I think that may be what I'm thinking too. When I was a kid church was not fun! It just wasn't allowed.

10. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    You should definitely apologize for being yourself. No excuses...act like someone else next time!!

11. No apologies needed...well maybe pray about it 1st...

I dont think church is about the people. Yes there will be some there to watch and criticize, but I digress...if your doin this out of the spirit I think thats awesome.. if your doing it out of spite or mockery then you have a whole nother issue to contend with.

One must be careful if you become the point of emphasis vs. what the worship/spirit intends to be. Im all about being me while I play if its spirit led...however if I find myself distracting I tame it down.

I do the barefoot thing quite a bit..as this has me feeling most grounded . I remember being called out by a more conservative dude...kind put me on blast about it in front of everyone..funny how things unfolded as it was later revealed he was scammin the church out of $$ and fired..eventually putting him on blast mode and forcing him to leave the church...

I was affirmed in my barefoot thing as a young lady approached me one day randomly and said..you know I came back a 2nd time b/c you play with bare feet..it made me feel normal... again it wasnt about me but how the spirit led me that day..if it invoke the spirit or the desire to hear more..do your thang..

Id say pray about it...keep doin your thing my friend..if he doesnt like it..youll surely know... ;)

12. Perhaps this is more Christianity related than bass/ gig related.

Churches claim that the music is all for the lord, and that is worship, not a gig. I really liked that line of thinking! It seems like something Jesus would do!

When I play bass, I just naturally sway, and I get some bass face with random smiles. I smile because I am happy. It was these bass face to smile moves that got me in trouble. I was very troubled by this, because it was such a geniune way of expressing my emotions! I was happy to be praising the Lord, but I guess that didn't please the man.

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    been there done that.
    emotional bass playing is real playing IMO.
    especially at church. headbanging isnt any different than raising your hands or shouting amen. i have seen much worse.
    me, i normally move around a bit, sing, and close my eyes. maybe light head banging but ive never been confronted about it.

14. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Yeah, that's about right.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A girl I used to date took me to a pentecostal service once... people got out of their seats and assumed the crucifixion pose and waved their arms back and forth. I was told later they were imitating Jesus, it is part of their worship.

I assume every church with a band is like this, so I would assume the more into it you are the more into they are. Head bang away.

I was raised Roman Catholic though... so it all seemed like blasphemy for impersonating Jesus to me.

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've been given the "drawing attention away from the Lord" talk.

My response, "find another bassist".

I do what I do on stage because I'm moved by the music. If that bothers you, find someone else, plain and simple.

I always try to keep it in the back of my mind, "it's NOT a performance." I still move, and I have long hair that moves when I move. Sorry if that offends you but I'm not changing who I and becoming a pretentious douche just to fit your image of what a Christian is.

No thanks.

17. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

:p
    You played at church? Shocking, Shocking :p:p:p

It get pretty crazy when playing in church, head banging, bass face, jumping around. The people there seem to like it, it gives them and excuse to act the same way. (well maybe not the bass face) Plus, it gives me and the drummer something to laugh about. I say if you're going to do it you might as well have fun.

18. Phalex,

Don't worry about it. Being yourself and playing with emotion and passion is a true as worship gets (regardless of context imo).

I headbang frequently while playing at church. Nothing wrong with fun, as long as honest truth is what's being conveyed in the end.

Check this out if you want: http://vimeo.com/47361115

Special song starts @ 8:00, most "emotive" part is @ 12:00

... and yes, we did just play Blink-182 in church...

19. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Great replies guys! I think I'm just a little out of my usual element on Sunday mornings.

I'm gonna go rock it tonight!!

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I should add that in four years of playing on two different (and guesting at a third) worship teams, the ONLY issues I've ever had were other members of the worship team, mostly the BL.

Seems that "worship leader" is where a lot of frustrated musicians end up, and they don't like being upstaged. I've gotten "the talk" twice.

Once was for my hair moving while I play. I have long hair. If I fart hard enough, my hair moves!!

The second time was for tapping a phrase during a designated "bass solo" at the end of a song. Really???