Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I played my first Fodera yesterday...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I think I'm in love. It was everything I've ever wanted in a bass. Well, it wasn't a five string... but HOLY CRAP!!!!

I understand why people enjoy these so much. I've often questioned it, and have never really wanted to give in... but I have. Boy am I glad I gave in.

The action was super low, but the tension was tight like a rubber band stretched across a football field. Not only that, the preamp was easy, versatile, and just all-around awesome.

I've GASed over these for a while now, without even playing one. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping I wasn't going to like it. Because now I have to save up $6K to buy one. I mean, I let a harmonic ring out for like 30 seconds... I played things that I've never played... It... it spoke to me.

I mean, a Fodera Monarch Elite spoke to me. Not only the bass as a whole, but the Flame maple top, Walnut back, Ash tone block, Birdseye maple fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Vintage Dual Coil pickups with flamed maple covers... everything spoke to me.

Here are pics of the bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's still for sale when I get the money, it's mine. You think they'll still have it in five years?

Crap, I've been GASing over these things people call "Sadowskys" too. Are those any good? Man, why can't I just sell my car or a testicle (only need one, right?) for gear? Shoot.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    sell one kidney on ebay :D

3. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why not both? :D Then I can get more...

Anyone know a place where a guy can sell a kidney? PM me...

(kidding about the PMs... I prefer emails :p )

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Where did you play it and on what type of rig? Yesterday, I played a $219 ESP 5 through a Eden rig and it sounded as good as a G&L or MIA Fender. Play that Fodera a few more times and play some other quality basses. It may be the best, it may simply be very good. Look around and you will know for sure.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see you have a Bongo and a nice rig. You may just have found your ideal bass! :D Still, check it out a few more times, it can't hurt.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I like the Maple on Maple look!

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    buy a nice bass,like used Jazz Bass or Lakland or G&L and buy Fodera outboard pre amp and tarannnnn you have your very close Fodera sound,mmm use your head and save money :cool:

8. That's a beauty!

9. I understand what you feel, I tried my first two last week end!
    And it was excellent!! I need one too.....:)

10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played a ton of basses and a few different rigs yesterday. I actually only played the Fodera through two rigs: a used GK400RB (which I brought home with me)- G-K Backline 410 and through a used SWR Mo'Bass -> Ampeg 410HE.

Otherwise I played a ton of MIA Fenders, a '78 fender jazz, MM sterlings/stingrays, some MIM Fenders, a Geddy Lee, and a '65 Epiphone Newport (which was absolutely amazing!). I played these all through the two previously mention rigs and then through two different Aguilar rigs: DB750 -> GS410 (came home with me) and AG500 -> S410.

It all went down at Daves Guitar Shop in LaCrosse, WI. www.davesguitar.com

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yep. :)

12. I noticed the other basses you played all were priced at about 20% or less of that Fodera. Make sure you play some of the other amazing boutique instruments in the $3K to $4k range (Roscoe, MTD, Stambaugh, Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Celinder, Skjold, etc., etc., etc.) before you decide that Fodera is 'the best ever'. It might be... and in that case... it's worth the $6K... but it might not be for you compared to some of these other wonderful and more moderate priced builders.

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's a good point. The only other "boutique" basses that I've played were all phenominal as well. When/if I take "the plunge," I'll most likely do it on a vacation to NYC or something so I can try a bunch of stuff.

14. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Keep that particular GAS up, and one night your Bongo will come alive, eat your left hand and then leave your house never to return ;)
    Seriously, that is one fine instrument!

15. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Fodera's are great basses but not good enough to go the route of a permanent catheder. ;)

16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    It's a great feeling finding your ultimate bass. I had the exact same reaction when I played my first Fodera Emperor 5. I had the chance to play James Genus' Fodera back in 1998 and it was all over for me after that.

17. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It is a great feeling, but at the same time... gut wrenching.

Being *cough* er... 17, it's going to be hard to get all of the money together; but it'll be oh so worth it. I want to start pricing them out so I can find a grand total. Well, an approximate total so I have something to shoot for. Maybe when my band finally signs that contract, I'll have the money to walk into a store and walk out (with a Fodera). There is a good chance of that happening within the next few years too. I mean, it's a good thing if you sit down with a record exec and they start talking about European tours... right?

I mean, no joke, if anyone wants/needs a kidney...

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

If it truly spoke to you, you should go for it if all possible

Rob

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First off, JAMES GENUS!!!!! Anyone who hasn't heard him (other than on Saturday Night Live) needs to go out and find any and all albums he's played on. He is one of the baddest mother*&$%r's out there!

There are only two brand's that have over the top knocked me out in my life and I've played many, many basses. Fodera and Ken Lawrence. I dream of owning basses from both of these very special builders. As with Fodera it started with playing Victor Wooten's bass (you can blow on it across the room and it'll play itself....his words, not mine. I have to agree though). Then after getting a short opportunity to play Matt Garrison's older 35" scale bass and then Lucas Pickford's AJ double cut I was permantly hooked. Oh, and the mahogany bodied sixer that (not sure if it's still there) was the staple at the Fodera shop killed me too.

20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    +1

James is one bad MF'er! He definitely isn't a household like name like some of the other late show guys but he is one serious player just the same.