1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I played my Mikey Way Mustang at practice tonight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaunpski, Apr 16, 2015.

1. I picked up a Squier Mikey Way Mustang a few months back. I strung it with some LaBella flats and soldered in a new wiring harness. Otherwise it is stock. I usually play a parts P or an AM Std J with a couple buddies in a pick-up/jam band (blues and classic rock). I am going through a Rumble 150 with the 15 inch. The Mustang did well tonight with no real complaints. It was definitely closer to a P vibe, but didn't cut as well as my P (with a SD SPB-1). Otherwise, I think the issue was just getting used to the scale. My background is guitar and I think my brain had a hard time with the "I'm playing bass, but this feels closer to a guitar." My right hand (finger style) didn't like the string spacing too much. It felt tighter than my P or J which resulted in a couple missed notes. Not the bass's fault for sure.

Beyond getting used to playing a short-scale in a pressure situation, I wouldn't have any issues gigging it (if I was gigging). Comfortable neck, comfortable on the shoulder, intonated just fine, not too heavy and no neck dive. I actually got this for my kids to learn on (all musicians in their own right). I played the MW for a set tonight and then went back to my J. The MW is definitely a keeper, but I still prefer my P and J. No, that is not me in the photo, and sorry for the fuzzy pic. That is the bass, however...

Shaun

08BE2087-0BED-4889-BEA3-C0A706334109_zpsig8cdp7k.

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Awww, b great shot. My wife and daughters are all musicians too. Lucky man.

I have been interested in that Mustang. Not much of a shortscale guy though. Congrats on the score.

My big question is can that Rumble 150 stand up to a pretty loud jam session?

3. Good question. We are playing in a decent size room using the PA for monitors only. The Rumble did just fine with the drummer hitting pretty hard on a couple songs tonight. I play facing the drums with the amp at my back. The room is about 25x25. As much as I'd like to buy a new amp, I don't have a legit reason to in this situation.

4. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Sweet bass. and a cute shot. I have a couple of short-scale basses, no Mustangs, and I like the feel of the neck. Never noticed that the Mustang has a bridge and half.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That is not the picture I expected when I opened this thread. :)

6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I haven't played a short scale since February 2008, but I love how this looks. It's a very flashy bass. I'm glad you like it.