Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I Played the "Best" Bass in my Own Little World Today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ...And it goes by the name Thumb bolt-on. Warwick, Thumb bolt-on. Made a short trip to the Orange Blossom Trail Guitar Center in Orlando, Florida before the Opiate for the Masses/Ill Nino/Static X show tonight, and I finally was able to lay hand on a Thumb, and I'm friggin' blown away by it, in every way possible. Definately going to have to save up for this bass, but it's gonna be awhile. GC will only let me put it on layaway for 3-4 months, with 25% down. Is it wrong to haggle the price when putting it on layaway? Yes, I have to use layaway, I don't have a credit card, and GC looks 6 months prior, and if I have no 6 months, then I have no bass, lol.

Yeah, really no point to this post, other than to throw praise to Warwick, for making the "best" damn bass in my own little world.

-ryan-

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like how you give Opiate for the Masses, a local band, top billing over Static X ;)

And no, it's never wrong to try to haggle the price.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I say negotiate irrespective of whether you are laying it away or not. Sure the salesguys like cash but at the end of the day, if you don't pay, they just made your 25%.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    It is NEVER a bad idea to haggle. The sweet spot is to take 40% off list.

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Just save up for one. When you have enough, depending on how long that takes, You may have changed your mind or found another perfect bass by then.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah!

I love mine!

I was blown away once again by the awesome tone last night at a local jam.

Life is good.

:D

Joe.

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hope you get a good price on it! i love my thumb bolt-on! the tone, the feel, the everything!

:)

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Those are nice basses, those Thumb BO's, very cool looking, cool tone, play well! I'm glad you've found your dream bass, I used to LOVE Thumbs a while back, and I've never really let them drop off my "favourites" list :bassist:

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i got mine on a whim, hated it at first, now its my number 1 studio bass and number 2 live bass. They are so freakin awesome. Save save save becuase it is definately worth it.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The thumb bolt on is my favorite warwick. I cant explain WHY i like it more than the neckthrough, i just do. I like the body shape better,and i just think im a bolt on guy, the slap tone is more my speed.

If i ever were to get a warwick itd be a thumb bolt on. Now we'll just have to see if i ever do. Right now i play a Musicman Sterling and it isnt going anywhere.

good luck saving up.

11. Actually, OfM is from Phoenix, I'm in Orlando, so not so local. I always put the main band last, kind of some sort of "save the best for last." However, I think Opiate deserves being over Static X anyway, they hung out the entire concert with us after opening, and even envited us to hang out after the show, which of course I did. Great guys, you have to see them live to know them, literally, they will remember your name 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and 2 hoursa later.

Anway, back on subject..

I was told that a good way to haggle is take 50% of the price tag, and add 10% of the original cost. wich is like still $1,000 bucks on the bolt-on. I think I might go with a used Thumb first, then go to a new "pure" one if I like it as much as I think I do :D .

-ryan-

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you get a used one, whats the point of getting a new one? I like the older ones better/

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1

Do not pay more than 35% off list NO MATTER WHAT!

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Do yourself a favour, check Bass Central before you purchase. They are in Fern Park. I have a local bass store and much prefer their service and product knowledge over GC. They will back up the product after the sale with quality technicians, etc. Even if their higher priced, I DOUBT THEY WILL BE, it's worrth a few extra bucks.

15. Chalk me up on the "I like the BO more than the Neck Through"

I really badly want an old one made from Bubinga. I just hate the look of Ovangkol. I didn't know they made old Bubinga BO versions last year when I started my quest to find the Bleach Blonde.

I guess I'm on the quest to find the auburn brunette now lol.

16. I actually love the look, grain, and feel of the Ovangkol wood, opposed to Bubinga. I actually played back to back; Corvette Active and Thumb Bolt-On 5 strings (similar prices), and I definately like the Ovangkol better.

The list price for a Thumb is Bolt-On is $2200, and GC had $1600 on the tag yesterday. I was thinking in my mind "Okay, if I were to buy this today, I'm not paying more that $900 out the door." Is that a good price?

I absolutely love this bass, and the only way I could improve upon it, would be to add the 3-band eq the Thumb NT has. However, I was able to get pretty much any tone I wanted with the standard 2-Band, which made me more than content.

-ryan-

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the weight of ovangkol, its lighter than bubinga. STD corvettes are hella heavy.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmmm...I hear so much about Opiate playing here that I thought they were local. They must come here a lot. They sound like good dudes. Glad you had a good time.

50% of retail + 10% is usually the price they will go for. So I'd aim a little lower than that at first. But your plan to buy a used one first is probably the way to go.