Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I put a couple of Carvin J99's in my DeArmond...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    and it's a vast improvement. I got a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 cheap off ebay, but the pups were junk. I mean they didn't sound that bad, but they were'nt five-string pickups. The B was almost inaudible. A 'pitter sold me some almost-new J99's for what I thought was a good price. Turns out the DeArmond pups are slightly smaller than standard J-bass pups, so I had to do some routing.

So anyway, to make a long story longer, I put the Carvins in, and they sound great. The preamp in the Pilot isn't terrible (pretty quiet to boot), so now it's a giggable bass. I may change the preamp one of these days (thinking either Duncan three-band or OBP-3), but the pickups will probably stay.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also picked up a new Pilot 5 Deluxe off of Ebay, and I am considering replacing the P/U's and preamp. The overall build of the bass and the hardware is fairly impressive at that price point, and mine was setup very well, has very good action, and decent fretwork. However, even though it has a fairly broad range of tones, it seems to lack a certain amount of cohesion and focus. I also find that if I try to tweak one band on the EQ to correct a frequency range that's either too full or too flat, it creates another sonic hole in my tone.

I am considering going with Bartolini pickups and pre, with an active/passive switch.

Any further thoughts, suggestions, observations about replacing the electronics in a DeArmond Pilot are welcomed...

Later, Tom.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine