So I put the Barts in my J-Bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowblues, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Ok, I have a set of Barts in by 72 P-bass and they sound fantastic. I purchased a nice new MIA Standard Jazz bass last Dec. I wanted some of the same tecture and tone I have with the P-bass but in a J-bass. I get my new pickups, put them in, tweek the crap out of em, finally get it to sound really killer. The question is this:

When both pickups are full on, it is not as loud as with the front on full and the bridge a quarter rolled off. Also, they are not as hot as the P-bass.

What's up with this??!!!!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Could you have hooked them up out of phase? That will make them cancel each other out when the volume is equal. Also, Bartolini makes a bunch of J pups, some of which aren't very loud. Could you have gotten some of the "quieter" ones?
  3. it's the way a jazzbass is wired.. some pickups are very sensitive to it.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, it sounds like your pickups are out of phase. I had the same problem with my PJ. The pickups sounded great by themselves, but lost volume and depth when together. Check the Seymor Duncan web page for a Jazz bass schematic. They are easy to read, and it should clear up your problem.:)
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Andy - Have you played around with your pickups' heights relative to the strings???
  6. Rickbass - Yea, I tweek the hight of them all over the place. I hooked up both my P-bass and the J-bass to a 4 track recorder and use the VU meter to compare the signal. Then I tried to level out the J to match the db levels the P was producing. This really helps when swapping between bass during a gig. I got really close. I just noticed that there was a slight volume drop with both full open. With one full and the other at 80% full, it is loud and full. I gues it is just the nature of the beast.

Hey flatwound, I never heard of Bartolini J pups. Explain this.

Ajbassking - I'll check the web site for the schematic.

Keep it coming guys!

Andy :p
  7. Ok, so I get the schematic and check it out. Looks like I got it hooked up correctly. Remember now, I am getting good volume out of them, just that I noticed the drop at the top of the bridge pickup.

8. Although most Barts will work OK passive, they are really intended to be running into a Bart preamp, so dont expect premium results from them.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    1. "J pups" = J-bass pickups

2. Bartolinis should do just fine in passive. Not that a preamp won't "improve" the sound somehow, but they're not low-impedance or anything.