1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I Quit My Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rico_2212, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    Last Thursday night I left a band that I'd been playing with for a year. I just wasn't happy with the entire situation, although there were no personal issues, drama, etc.
    I went in and explained that I just wasn't happy with where we were and what we were doing. Since we hadn't seen each other in three weeks, it came as a bit of a surprise. I had explained that I wantede to do this in person, as opposed to a phone call, e-mail, or text message.
    Every one was dissappointed with the situation, but handled it really well because everything was open and up front.
    The reason I'm sharing here is that we're always hearing about drama stories and people talking smack and going to war on the internet (craigslist, myspace, whatever.) We seldom get the experiences of civilized departures.
    Right now I'm between bands, but I'm happier and didn't have to throw away my friendship with the guys from the band as a result. I guess what I'm saying, is that when you realize it's over, be mature and act like an adult. Even if the people you're with aren't as cool as may buds, it will not be as negative experience as the people who resort to bad-mouthing other people. You can reaaly see who your friends are.
    Peace, Rick

2. Berryman

Berryman

Oct 27, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Great story. On the other hand, I quit with a band in a mature way and they acted childish...

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    All you can do is try to take the high road yourself. You can't control how others will react.

4. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    That's happened to me before too, sometimes they get over it and you can be friends again and sometimes they don't. If you're on the up & up, at least you can sleep good at night.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I was in this band about 9 months ago. They played 80s hair BS and some original material. It was a guitar player and a drummer who sang. After a month or so they hired a 2nd guitar player and a drummer, so the singer/drummer could get out front. Both of these guys were younger (late 20s). 3 weeks later I quit and took the new guys with me and we are happy and plodding along fine doing our own originals and covering bands like Rage, AIC, STP etc..

We managed to stay on friendly terms with the first band and it is likely we will do some shows with them this spring. Honesty is the best policy. Most people understand as long as you explain it to them honestly.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020