1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I saw My Chemical Romance broke up.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Mar 23, 2013.

1. http://www.punknews.org/article/51036/breakups-my-chemical-romance-2001-2013

The response among my friends was pretty positive, meanwhile I was left wondering, why is it so popular to hate bands that don't match up on every characteristic of their genre?

Is it that important to praise news of someone else's failure just because they were successful?

I guess this is growing up...

2. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Pretty neutral to this band, neither hated nor loved them.

The only song I remember enjoying from them was Teenagers, which was like 3 years ago.

3. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I just got into them a few months ago. I'm a bit disappointed to hear I won't be able to see them live.

4. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    Well at least their bass player(mike way) cashed in just in time. He just got that deal with fender for his sig mustang bass and the new bassman 100 head.

I saw these dudes when they had first come out,opening for a screamy hardcore band in a crappy dive bar type venue back in `02. They put on a good show. A few years later I kissed my girlfriend for the first time(7 years later and we`re still going!) in a bar while their song Helena played on the jukebox.

So while I`m not the biggest fan,I do have some good memories associated with the band.

5. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Who?

6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My daughter loves them. I thought they had some good stuff. I don't think of a band breakup as a "failure," though. They lasted longer than the Beatles, at any rate (13 vs. 10 years).

8. Your band, The Fartknockers, they broke up, honey. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

9. I just find it funny lately ppl hate on a band and cheer on one part of a "scene" dying off.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Don't care about the band but I have the Mikey Way bass and it is a dandy! I really like it.

11. Late to the party here. I'll go on record as a 48 yo father of a 14 yo. Mi had heard of the band somewhere along the line, way way back, but never heard their music. Well, fast forward to about 9 months ago when my daughter discovers them. I didn't think much of it until she starts asking me "dad, have any of the bands you are into broken up and gotten back together?"

Anyway, that started some conversations, and had me curious about them. So after poking around on you tube to educate myself......I found I really like these guys. I have delved into their stuff, and learned a handful of their songs so as to be able to teach them to my daughter (she plays bass as of about 18 months ago).

Anyway, what's cool is I looked into them with no preconceived notions about them, it would be the music/image/performance that would win me over, or not.

They did. Kinda wish I had picked up on them earlier, I'd have gone to see them.

Interesting side note, their "The Black Parade is Dead" DVD was recorded at the same arena that I worked at for Disney's World on Ice for 5 weeks back in 1990 as a sound man.

12. I could be "that guy" right now and trash on the band, but I won't.

What I will say is that emo/scene girls are friggin hawt as hell, and only surpassed by rave girls in a "musical genre based fashion style" kind of way.

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Never understood the hate. They had some catchy songs, used some cool tones and experimented from time to time...and live they actually sounded pretty good the times I've seen them online.

14. Seb_VitusFreak

Seb_VitusFreak

Nov 19, 2006
    I don't like mainstream rock music, so I am neutral towards this.

15. I saw them back in 2004 or 2005. They played with Underoath, Killswitch Engage and The Used. All four bands were very good love and sounded great. I was mainly there to see Underoath, but really enjoyed myself.

lowsound

16. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    I dunno I thought they were kinda lame. I would have to say im pretty indifferent to them breaking up though. That whole style of music has been on it's way out for some time now, kids these days are into country and pop music. When I was in school it was all about grunge and goth and heavier kind of stuff, now those types of bands seem to be fading away, oh well.

17. Decided to come back to this....

I bought the above mentioned DVD/CD set on eBay for my daughter, and you know what, I think it's fantastic! What a great freaking performance! Sounds great too. What's interesting to me is that seeing The Black Parade performed end to end the way the way they did, with the stage production, etc. I thought that the songs might not stand up well "out of context".

However, the DVD also has a show they did in Jersey at Maxwells, where they play a number of the songs as part of a varied set, but in a grimy, sweaty, cramped club setting. The songs stand up well I think even out of context.

Anyway, that's my story, 48 YO fanboy that I am.

"I won't explain or say I'm sorry
    I'm unashamed".

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I never liked them but bands break up all the time. Its not a big deal.

19. onlyneedsone

onlyneedsone

Mar 7, 2014
    I really loved these guys and got into them while they were still together but never got the chance to see them live because everyone had told me they'd broken up. They have some really cool songs and an amazing stage presence (at least thats what I get off youtube) and I really like Gerrard's preformance style (its somewhat similar to mine). They have some of my favourite songs (I never told you what I did for a living, mama, dead...). They inspired me to really get back into and get my own bass and make music again. I dont understand the hate on bands though I never understood that. If you dont like something then dont bother with it.

20. there are no words to describe how I feel about this because I couldn't possibly care any less for this band.

to each their own...