Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i saw the trujillo bass today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 19, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im apalled. i mean i love zon, and trujillo is good in his own right. im not to fond of this monkey thing he does. but a zon bass painted to look like a clown. someone kill me quickly. and its my understanding that it isnt any or much different than a regular ol zon. who knows.

opinions?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ahh, the pain I first felt when Warwick strayed! :D

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    pic???

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    yah, I saw a pic in BP mag, but it didn't look that bad. It's just a normal Zon Sonus except with a maple neck, a pau ferro fingerboard and EMG j pups. The top on the one I saw looked pretty nice, however I don't think the black/red stain finish reallly fit the bass.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Isint he playing mostly Fernandez right now?, i will let you know what he is playing when i see him tommorow.

6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I think Zon is just expanding it's horizon. We all know Joe makes incredible basses. His composite necks are out of this world. But not everyone likes a composite neck. So now he is doing some wood neck models too. This may put his basses in more hands. Some Zon players would like a wood neck bass also to compliment what they have. So they have to buy another brand for that. Now you can stay with Zon if you wish. Hey, Joe is a great luthier no matter if he is building a composite neck or wood neck. I'm sure his wood necks will rival the best out there.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    pics plz -__-

8. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    This is the Tribute Pro model. It has a 3 piece oil finish quartersawn maple neck with graphite rods. 3 band Custom Zon preamp made by Aquilar. Zon/Duncan custom shop pick-ups. 35" scale and 3/4 string spacing. These are hand made right in his shop in Redwood City just like all Zon basses. Then there is an import Korean made Tribute also. They are less expensive.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i cant find any pics on the net. however the one in BP is teh oen i guess theyd sell "over the counter". but the one i saw in this magazine was all black with a clown painted on it. who knows.

10. I saw Metallica last month: Trujillo played 5 string basses with J style pups. They looked like Zon from a distance but it could be a look a like too.

11. MAJOR METAL

Tonights my turn, i am pretty sure they are fernendaz basses.

12. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yah, I'm pretty sure that he does play fernandes, but if I was him and was offered to co-design a bass with Joe Zon, I sure as hell wouldn't pass it up. Also, I think that the bass isn't really a signature model, Robert just helped Mr. Zon design it. This doesn't mean he has to play it, it just means he helped to put his own insight on what a bass should be according to him into the making of this instrument. I think it looks like a pretty nice bass, although they could offer a variety of finishes.

13. MAJOR METAL

He was playing Fernendaz last night.

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I posted this info on a NAAM thread a while back, but it's true that Trujillo is now a Zon endorser, and that he will be having his own signature model. I found out about it a while ago, like in December or even November. At any rate, Joe was a bit tight lipped about the whole thing. I was under the impression though that it was not going to have a composite neck though and possibly EMG electronics. I was a little suprised that nothing was mentioned about it at NAAM, so I figured that the whole project wasn't finalized. It's possible that Trujillo isn't playing them yet untill Zon starts doing a marketing campaign for them.