Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I saw Vic Wooten last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones played last night here in Cleveland and I'm still reeling from Vic's performance!

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    They were easily the tightest performance I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty darn good ones. Everyone in that band is just incredible.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, they were here in Columbus last week, too... The venue they played is a great, smallish outdoor venue... Promowest Pavillion.. Wish I had seen it...

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    when i saw them, one of the things i liked the most was that it wasn't about victor wooten (for most all of it). they really played just amazing music the whole night, everyone did, the even did a cover or Iron Man (black sabbath) which was cool. amazing show though, i was equally impressed with everyone.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why would it be all about Victor Wooten? I mean he has a lot of fans but the majority of people at the Flecktones concerts that I've been to seem to have come for the whole band and while they acknowledge Wooten as a great bassist they don't seem to have especially come to see him specifically. They're a band and Fleck is at least as talented as Wooten. Coffin is great too...and futureman...well...hang in there, dude.

brad cook

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I've seen them about ten times I think and Wooten easily gets the most applause and responses from the audience...

But I agree the shows are definitely not all about him. All of the members of the group get equal recognition.

7. I had read a lot of people's responses in other forums, and noted more than a few were displeased because of Vic going "over the top" with his pyrotechnic display of prowess. I myself had begun to feel as if some of his speed playing was too much for the recorded material I'd been listening to ( I have several live "taper" recordings and a number of Flecktones studio releases including the latest 3CD set). However, I was about 15 feet from the man at the show, and during the entire performance (this was my first time seeing him live) he displayed an uncanny sense of groove and ability to listen. There's no doubt he can go off like crazy, but he does it when it's "his turn". Every musician in that band can shred their respective instruments to pieces (the jury is still out on Future Man...sorry dude, you're unique, but that can be interpreted a number of ways) but they remain a super tight cohesive unit until it comes each members time to be a "showman", and the context in which each exhibits their skills only serves to heighten the overall experience rather than detract...IMO.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im glad Im not the only one who isnt thrilled with Futureman hehe. I think GrooveMongrel hit the nail on the head "Unique, but that can be interpreted a number of ways"

9. Rhythm is rhythm as far as I'm concerened. And it's not like he can't play a kit...what do you think he played before the drumitar? Some of his stuff is very impressive.

10. yep, we might as well burn our basses as firewood, save the stomach ulcers. He is just too good.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've watched Roy/Futureman play the "real" kit, up close and personal, recently (Nashville NAMM show, after party for Pearl drums).

Anyone that has any doubts about him is out of their mind, Futch kicks @$$, just like the rest of the Wootens (Reggie is inhumanly good - he's BETTER than Vic on bass, and he's a guitarist! :eek: ).

It goes without saying that Vic is an unfair combination of technique, groove, melody, and taste. People like him make me glad I can get gigs just playing roots & 5ths!!!