1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so i screwed up...ordered a digital piano and wont be here to receive it...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 22, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    The other day I ordered a digital piano (Yamaha YDP 163)for home use...Mainly for me, but it will also make it easier for people coming over to rehearse.

Sadly I didn't look at the shipping info...It's >100 lbs which means it ships freight from CEVA logistics. I didn't even think of that and just assumed it would ship UPS or FedEx and I'd be able to pick it up. Delivery window is next tues through the following monday, (I pick the day) and I need to be home to sign for it...the problem is I am working, and there is a bunch of crap going on at work that will make it very difficult for me to take a day off to be around to receive it, (I have the time to use for this, but it will cause a lot of problems since our lab is moving that week and frankly it will really be frowned upon if i take a day off during this transition period)> Freight company does not have a pick up option, and they won't hold it until I can pick it up.

To return it will mean Im out almost $300.00 in shipping fees.

Now, the same item is available locally, on same for black friday..basically $150.00 off, so at the end of the day I'll still be out money, but not $300.00

Question is take the day off to receive this and deal with the fallout at work or eat the financial loss and send it back and buy locally?

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Take part of a day off and split the difference.

6Bass101 and saabfender like this.
  3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

i need to be here all day..delivery window is basically 10-6.

4. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Do you know anyone that can wait and sign for it for you? Or maybe contact the shipping company and see if there Is a way you can change the delivery address and have it delivered to your workplace?

5. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

i cannot accept packages at work and anyone i know who is remotely responsible enough to stick around and recieve it is working as well

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    $300 to ship?

7. Contact the shipping agent & see if you can set it to Will Call & pick it up from their depot on your own time.
    I do it whenever possible with UPS & FedEx.

In the case of UPS, they're open for pickup until 18:00, but of course this will vary with the particular agent the seller used.

8. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

thats for both ways...if it ends up that i can't get it the seller will charge me shipping to and from...

As for picking it up, I called once and was told the freight company does not allow pickup.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Got a neighbor who can be there for you? Or have it shipped to your office instead?

10. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Which freight company are you dealing with? PM me if you do not wish to reveal here!

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    When shipping this time of year, I'm pretty sure the delivery 'window' is the size of a small country...

mikewalker and instrumentlevel like this.
  12. I just schlepped a 40 lb Yamaha P120 portable.on a 5 day road trip. Not bad, if you have a luggage cart or park in front of the hotel room.

13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on having it delivered to a different address... a trustworthy neighbor or co-worker?

If it's FedEx, they'll deliver to a FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) location. If it's UPS, maybe they can re-route to one of their shipping stores?

14. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Looks like CEVA Logistics has pitiful reviews, and certainly don't care for any kind of customer service.

IMHO, take care of work. If there's no other option, suck up the $$ and be there for your co-workers during the move.

15. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Do you really have to be home all day, or do you only have to be home from 10 a.m. until they deliver it?
    And although they are giving you an 8-hour window, if you talk to the dispatcher the day before, they can definitely give you a smaller window, because they will have their route for the day entirely planned out in advance.
    Since it is heavy, maybe you could look into hiring someone to stay there at your house to receive it.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. Hire a house sitter for the day. $50 maybe to have someone be on the ready at any point to accept delivery. (which means super quick bathroom breaks with door open, and no leaving or napping, etc)

17. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Call the shipping company and tell them you won't be present to receive the package but still want to accept the delivery. Or just leave a note on the porch for the delivery fellow, I do this all the time.

18. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    That’s what I was thinking. Some trustworthy neighborhood babysitter who’d sit in the house just to sign for the delivery.

19. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hope you figure it out. Can't you call in 'sick'? People do get sick.

Just curious; where did you buy this? musicians friend and sweetwater have this piano with free shipping.
    Are you in the USA?

20. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

kraft music...shipping to me is included in the price. if you return the item however you end up paying the shipping costs both ways..

house sitter idea: negative on that...i have a dog for one thing, and there are a couple of other reasons that won't work, but mainly anyone i know that's trustworthy/responsible enough to do that has to work.