1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so....i screwed up..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Making a long, bad word filled rant short....

So i was routing my pickups today, something I havent touched in a couple years. Had the template layed down, everything lined up nice, body drilled to take the bulk out. kick up the router and go to town....

Then it hits me. My template bit is 1/2 inch, its not going to get the corners right! Well screw it, i got my dremel, ill make it work.

More routing, ugh, its ugly! Why!!

Then im to the moment of truth, i bust out the dremel, and completly F- it up.....the hole is about 1/4 to large side to side now. The fender USA speced template isnt even close to fitting these USA series pups. In general i did a horrible routing job.

Sorry for the rant guys. Just one of those days

Sigh.....I learn again, measure 10 times, cut once.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Put in a mudbucker, or a darkstar?

3. The pickup routes don't have to be the same size of the pickup, as a matter of fact if you make them snug you're in trouble. Most pickups have 1/4" corners. Making the cavity a hair bigger than the pickup solves your problem. Done it a bunch of times and it doesn't look bad at all.

Here's an example. Those are bart Js with 1/4" diam corners. I routed using standard J templates and a 1/2" pattern bit. The template themselves were a hair bigger than the pickups.

[​IMG]

4. the main problem was the template didnt fit the pups right, i have it decently fixed now. Im still going to end up making rosewood pup rings most likley.