1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I show up to an Improv/Hip-Hop/Poetry slam Gig.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Oct 31, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ... And I'm the only cat that shows up this evening. So I had to be the WHOLE band!!!

At first it was awkward to be the beat, the bassline and the melody... but, then one of the 'spoken-word' attendees plugged their mic into my Aguilar/QSC/Epifani rig and I nearly couldn't contain myself. :eyebrow:

The only thing that was cool, is that I got paid a bit more than I expected, but the whole time I was worried that my UL112 was going to blow.

Anybody ever put in that scenario?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    WOW. sounds interesting. good thing you were able to pull it off. i don't know what i would have done.

did you thump out the rhythms (muted) and then throw in little basslines and licks? was that the technique?

3. No, but I'd like to. Bass, amp, looper pedal & couple other fx & I am the band. UNH.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well the funny thing is that I took my RC 20 looper out of my gig bag at the last moment to accomodate a gtr stand, before I left the house.... Cause I only wanted to make one trip, I knew parking was going to be tough.

As for technique...

During some of the poetry slam had the whole room clapping or keeping rhythm vocally, so when that was the case, I just played bass like I had the whole room as a rhythm section. For most of the night, I was playing with my thumb (on my right hand) doing muted basslines. Then using my index and middle finger of the same hand playing 9ths, 3rds and 7ths (a la Charlie Hunter, but just as simple and solid as I could keep it).

It was a great experience and challenge to be the band and really create the tune on the spot. Most of the time, based off of what the individual performer would just hum-out to me.