Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I slapped this blonde today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I walked in, and there she was. Beautiful! It wasen't for sale, just in for a bit of fixing. It was the owners. I'm in there alot, so he let me give her a go.

I clutched my hand around her neck and gave her a quick thwap. It felt amazing, even standing up. So I sat down, laid her on my knee and slapped her a bit. I ran my fingers across her, but I prefered slapping.

Now, she was blonde, and was wearing black. She had a bit of a Teal look to her. She looked, and felt incredible. I fell in love.

It was a Teal-ish Musicman 4 with a Black pickguard and maple neck/fingerboard with a 3EQ. (Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble). This was the best bass i've ever played for slapping. I wasen't too fussy on how it sounded fingerstyle, but I didn't mess around with the amp.

I was blown away with the versitility of this bass. It could go from a beautiful Jaco-esque tone near the bridge, right to the sound of a fretless when I played over the neck. Then the tone COMPLETELY changed when I played some Miller or Wooten.

I played one before, looked great. Natural Finish. But I hated the size of the frets. It was like I was playng a scalloped bass. ugh. But this had Medium Frets. I loved it.

He said it was 1800 Canadian. That's too much for me right now, but i think i'm going to save up!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Welcome to the club. My main bass is maple necked and fingerboard all natural Stingray five. You really did job of describing the versatility of the Stingray.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    thanks, I tried my best. It's a great bass. I prefer a Geddy, or Jaco kinda tone, which this bass was lacking somewhat. This had the best "Fretted mwah" i've ever heard. I can't say I've ever heard Mwah from a fretted bass before, so this is the first. it was great.