1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I sold a collectible star wars helmet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    TO a guy in Austria. Got the shock of my week when I just got home from work.

Buyer got his helmet in fine shape. Now for something totally out of left field.

I just got home and I have a letter from Fed Ex.

I open this strange un expected letter and in it I am told that Fed ex shipped a package for me and could not bill the party indicated in the shipping document or it was missing.

I assume they mean the USPS where I shipped it. It seems that for global mailings the USPS contracts with Fed Ex and is why among the forms I had to fill out was a fed ex form.

SO I paid for the shipping at USPS and they think they are going to bill me for a total of 234.15 when the package only cost 209.25 insured.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Has anyone heard of such an absurd situation before?

If USPS does not want to pay their bill why is it my problem? And it is quite the problem being that the amount Fed Ex is seeking from me is just under what I am about to pay in rent.

Not sure where I should start with this? Take it serious or ask the rep at the 800 number if they are smoking crack?

2. Start with the second option for sure.

3. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Hmmmmmm, lets just say something is fishy these days with FedEx. On 2 occasions, I have been over billed on my Credit Card from FedEx. I have an account. they have a strange way of measuring. Just because your estimate is xx.xx if your doing it yourself in your account doesn't mean thats what the price is always.

I have been *twice* more than double billed from them. I was like .. ***..? I called then and got some refunded both times but if you make a mistake, you might pay double and they might hope you don't see the overcharge. I dunno. Sketchy!

I walk into FedEx stores now to ship. I never want to deal with that again. If I didn't check my CC, I would have never known.

BTW: It was basses I shipped.

4. This doesn't really pertain to your particular situation, but I've had 2 credit card numbers stolen after shipping via the FedEx website. Of course, I didn't put it all together until after the second time...

Sorry that doesn't help your situation. If you shipped via USPS, though, I don't see how FedEx has any business coming after you for money. You didn't contract with FedEx.

5. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    was it a wookiee hat

6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    It was a Clone Helmet with blue trim master replicas 501st Helmet. Bought it in 2007 then the 2008 crash told me I could not afford to keep such items. I did not wear or display it as by the time it got to me I knew I could not keep it. Took me years to sell it off since I paid top dollar for it.

As for Fed ex a phone call got it all straighten out. I think they are fishing for stupid people who will just pay it if you want my view.

7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    This is quite literally what they are doing : Bell is doing the same thing up here with telephone/cable and internet charges. They just tack on an extra $20 or $30 every month and hope people don't notice/don't care/are too busy to dispute the charge.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    big business has always used fraud to add to their "bottom-line", IMHO! when Amazon was created and implemented, my first order was double charged. at the same time, i was battling my phone, gas & electric, and internet providers every other month it seemed. and yes,... each case was strickly BUYER BEWARE! it's all based on the "FACT" that most people DON'T read their bills carefully.

over-charges feed the machine. :(

9. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Years ago I used to find all these bizarre fees on my Bank Of America statement. After the third time of going in and having a sheepish looking teller remove the fees I told them I refuse to bank with crooks and closed my account. I think the teller would have agreed if the boss wasn't right there...even they knew the fees were bogus and basically theft. Moral of the story, read your bills and statements carefully because a lot of companies will try to bleed you if you don't stop them.

10. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    How exactly did you ship it? Global Express Guarantee is a Postal Service product that is end to end in the Fed Ex channel.

How and where did you pay for the shipping?

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Hospitals have been "accidently" overbilling for many, many years.

I once made the mistake of paying an ER bill that was covered by insurance because when I got the bill I called the hospital to let them know they would be paid by the insurance I had with my job. This was back when companies actually provided more than lip service for insurance and the whole "deductible" scam was invented. Anywho, When I called the nice lady at the hospital billing department explained that the bill needed to be settled in less than 90 days to avoid future accounting problems. She went on to explain that if I paid the bill the insurance company would simply reimburse me and it would all be good. Silly, young, trusting me, I promptly scooted down to the hospital and paid my bill, in cash. I got a receipt but as a young dumbass I didn't worry too much about it and it disappeared right away.

LSS, it took me more than a year and a ton of help from my employers insurance person to get my money back.

The hospital got a check from the insurance company a few weeks after I paid and promptly put it in their account and refused to give the money back because I couldn't produce a receipt, and the insurance company wouldn't pay me until the hospital paid them back.

The real kicker was the lady who took my money told me to my face she knew they had been paid twice but because I couldn't produce proof of payment they were "under no obligation" to give the insurance company it's money back.