So I sold my GT-7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Dec 18, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    A temporary farewell to ERBs, I'm now bassless for a while :crying:

I did ment to buy the Yamaha TRB 1005 with some of the money but I'm having some trouble, you see, the @ssh*les at the shop I first checked the bass have a model with a stunning quilt top but they want an extra 200€ for the bass for no reason!!! :scowl: While a more reputated store asks for a down to earth price of 740 €, great price tag but the model they had has a pretty dead and banal maple top, there's no comparison :(
    So I'm stuck waiting for a new batch, unless I find another good deal on the way :meh:
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Thought: Yamaha basses are good. I wouldn't pay extra for looks though. Playability and sound are the most important things, and all Yamahas I've played deliver that. If it looks good then that's a bonus, but I wouldn't pay extra to get one that looks better.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I agree with elros.. Don't sweat it. Besides, this is only a temp bass until the 9 string gets finshed, right??

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    And I won't pay, the price they're asking is ridiculous. I'm going to buy the bass to the 2nd store anyway, but I'm going to wait until the end of month when they should have some more TRB models, hopefully one with a better top after all, the specs do promise "quilted maple", this last one was barely figured, looked like cherry, if I'm giving the money well at least give me the whole package right?
    The bass plays like a breeze and its extremely light, yamaha really cooked up a good offer with this bass IMO, its better than its predecessor.

Mark: Yup, I'm bassless now,and I do need a workhorse, The Conkie should only appear around April or forward, who knows :crying:

here's the culprite in 6 string version, also an option I need to test:

5. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    IMO, the tone in those new BO Yamaha TRBs suck and the b-string is floppy. But thats just my 2 cents.
  6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    You are right about the B string, but they come standard with a light gauge so a heavier string should repair that. Man I love the tone, on my low vocabulary for tone classifying I can only describe it as bright sounding, typical maple-ish tone, in which conditions did you try it?Was it really this TRB oe the other version with a plain ash body?
  7. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I tried in a music store here in Finland. The stock strings might've made the bas impression, the action was terrible. I didn't play it for long, because of the bad touch, and changed it to a Fender jazz:)
  8. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    I see, its predictable, most of these production basses come stock with the strings about 2 feet away from the fingerboard, a good setup and string change was already in my plans, this bass will have raving low action when properly set, guaranteed. :)
  9. My TRB6 also had a horrendous action when I tried it at the shop. Sent it to have a proper setup, and was then able to discover what an incredible instrument it is for the money.

If you are purely looking for a workhorse, perhaps look around for a secondhand TRB - they are very reasonable used.
  10. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I only hope that the new TRB models are as good as the older ones. See, I have a '97 or so TRB5 made in Japan. This bass is so well made: the fretwork is so perfect that i'm able to setup the action incredibly low without one single buzz. The rosewood in the fretboard is truly beautiful and the bass overall is of really high quality. I like the bass so much that I bought another in 2002, new, which was also made in Japan, but the quality was nothing near it. The rosewood in the fretboard was pale -it almost looked like pau ferro-, the frets uneven, the body was made of several unmatched pieces of ash (the older has a really good matched 3-piece body), the nut was poorly cut. All in all, and evidence that Yamaha had dropped the quality of the TRB line.

Now the new ones are not even made in Japan, so I wonder how the quality is..?

It really sucks when companies drop the quality and still expect us to pay the same price.