so i start college in 8 days... any advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 3, 2004.

1. yup, i move into my dorm in 8 days. im excited about college and all, but naturally im kinda nervous bout it all, new place, new people etc. so those of you that have been through it what kind of advice would you offer regarding all aspects of college life (academic, social, etc)?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Find out where the good local bands play and go there.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It'll be fun staying out all night and partying with your friends, and no being under the eye of your parents. But don't let the partying get in the way of your homework, because it will build up. Also, just because you CAN stay up all night writing a 5-8 page paper, doesn't mean you should.

Also, work out some system with your roommates in case they have "company" over.
  4. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    get a good fake i.d....breakfast, lunch and dinner=macaroni and cheese and/or lucky charms...don't try to maintain a long distance romantic stated above, find where the good bands play, start a band and play there...don't schedule any classes before 10 a.m. even if you think you can roll outta bed and go...enjoy every moment because college is the last time you can act like a kid and get away with it. have fun and be safe.
  5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Get your GE's out of the way early.

You'll see most of the 'Party-er's" drop out before the 2nd term. Second wave won't make it to sophmore year.

You'll see the third wave of 'em never make it to their Jr. yr.

If your take all G.E. req. classes the first 2 years and
    get them out of the way by your Jr. year, then it's
    a sure thing you'll graduate and can party the final years
    (just when your beginning to get sick of school).

Dig in for the first 2 years.

Once you've got the req. course out of the way,
    relax... enjoy your major. Party.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not to discredit what you said, but a couple points.

Only eat mac and cheese and lucky charms if you want to go broke. Ramen is the cheap stuff that gets the job done. Mac and cheese should be saved for special occasions.

Dont try the long distance thing. I did and I got royally screwed.

Id say 12:30 is as early as it gets, but 2:30 is ideal. Might as well grab lunch with that cute girl you met the other day before class.
  7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio

Oops, sorry, that's for when you graduate. ;)
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    1. Do your homework

2. Don't wait to the last minute to do term papers

3. Drink obscene amounts of beer
  9. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    haha, no one told me!

But, I usually do well. I've had As and B+s on everything. Now I really need to...

Due tomorrow: 5 page paper for Diversity & Justice
    Thursday: American Civilization position paper
    Friday: 3 "magazine articles" for ENC 1101, final exam for Am. Civ.

and I'm here on Talkbass. I'm so dead
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Been there, done that. You will learn to make love to your coffee machine.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) College is nothing like it is in the movies.
    2) College is everything the movies promise and more.

It's this paradox that has kept the college numbers up over the years.
  12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I deal with college Freshman all the time, and there are a few pointers that I find are most helpful to new college students:

1. Get to know where the library is

2. Use it!

3. Get a copy of the most recent MLA Handbook - Undergraduate education is focused on writing assignments and the first three points will enable you to survive those challenges

4. Finishing a class successfully is your responsibility - no one is going to make you go to class or do your work. Undergraduate life is all about self-sufficiency

5. Learn to do laundry

6. Fraternities and sororities are great ways to "fit in" on campus, but can be hell on your academic career. Choose a house wisely

7. Don't join any cults - many of this country's most active cults recruit off of college campuses (i.e. Heaven's Gate)

8. Save money, do your GE units at a community college and transfer the maximum allowed

9. Have all syllabi from your current classes laminated. Then, read each syllabus five times. Make sure that you fully understand everything that your instructors expect of you. More college students fail academically than they should simply because they don't do this. Oh, yeah, and don't lose class handouts!

10. Have all the fun you can!
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Way ahead of you. That's why I'm at a CC right now. Gonna transfer in with something around 64 credits. $915 a quarter, or $2500 a quarter for your 101 classed? Can you say "no brainer." The only reason I could possibly justify NOT doing this would be if you had plenty of scholarships, and a 4 year university was just as cheap, or free.
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Don't study too hard. Make lots of friends. Score lots of women. Don't buy on credit or develop a substance addiction.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Keep one dish, pot, pan, spoon, bowl, fork, etc. in your closet. Wash it as soon as you're done using it, then place it back in your room. Voila-you are no longer responsible for anyone else's dish problems (dirty dishes are never yours, and you always have clean stuff for yourself). Comes in handy more than you might think.

Also make sure you have a very reliable alarm clock with backup battery power in case it gets unplugged.
  16. If its anything like my college experience was, there will be lots of coke floatin around, dont indulge in it. Nasty habit that coke is . But drink lots of beer. And go streaking :D :D :D
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  18. I'm taking a summer class and start my fall semester on the 23rd...but I'm going to a community college nearby, so I'm still stuck living at home with my parents :rollno:

Course, as long as I live at home they pay for my food, cell phone, car insurace and gas :bassist:
  19. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Make eye contact with people, including strangers. Smile when appropriate.

Get a day planner or good calendar, go through all of your syllabi, and write down all due dates for the entire semester. Schedule your time to meet these deadlines, and use the leftover time for fun.

The library advice is good, remember that the librarians work for you. Explain your assignment and ask them to help and they will. There will also be other good places for help, like a Writing Center or a Freshman mentor program -- use them, even if you don't think you need help. They know the system better than you and will keep you from wasting time.

No joke.