1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, I start singing lessons this Friday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BurnOut, May 15, 2017.

1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    My singing duties have been growing ten fold this year. In my endless quest for improvement, I start taking singing lessons Friday. My neighbor who is a professional vocal coach for opera, and whatnot has decided to take me on as a student. It's actually something that's been in the works for awhile now. We gonna trade some labor for lessons. I'll end up being a better singer than a bass player. So I got that going for me.

2. Dough
    Ray
    Mee
    Fah
    Sorn
    Lah
    Tee
    Dah
    :D

kartiste and BurnOut like this.
  3. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'll be whipping out some Sebastian Bach soon

kartiste likes this.
  4. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Guess I should of posted this on TalkVoice

dave64o likes this.
  5. You should have tagged the not so mellow man, he's into vocal performances :cool:

mellowinman likes this.
  6. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Bach wrote great bass lines.

Mvilmany and BurnOut like this.
  7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    MM don't really talk to me, think he might be weirded out by the creepy puppet.

8. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Good for you!

I've been singing for decades, but took vocal lessons for about 6 years, from my late 40's to mid 50's. It's amazing how much it can improve your singing, even if you have a lot of experience.

Having someone with knowledge examining your technique, and knowing how to help you develop it (or correct bad technique) is very beneficial.

I should apply that thought to my bass playing some day.

BurnOut likes this.
  9. That's cool. I'm very interested in the concept, since in my own vocals, I probably could do it in a way that's less straining. Would also like to get more range up top, but I haven't found any youtube videos (for instance) where I've seen this done successfully, where people increase their top end while retaining the quality. I've seen people become "less $hit" up there, but not really great. If anyone has any links; I'd be grateful, though. :)

BurnOut likes this.
  10. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I never thought of singing as something that could be taught or learned vs having the gift, but it does make sense.

BurnOut likes this.
  11. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks, he said I should record the lessons. I'll be passing on any great information as I get it here. Also to my bandmates, So stay tuned.

I'm already a good singer, just wanna up my game. He said most everyone famous who sings has a vocal instructor. It's what he does all day every day, endless line of people come to him.

12. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    That's on the list too

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't talk to anyone much. As a part time actual lead singer, I am a complete narcissist. When I play bass, I find a need to morally lecture others. Thank God I play guitar as well. No guitarist has ever been accused of thinking...

I was going to suggest the following advice from Cat Stevens:

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
    And if you want to be free, be free
    'Cause there's a million things to be
    You know that there are

And if you want to live high, live high
    And if you want to live low, live low
    'Cause there's a million ways to go
    You know that there are

Here's the deal with singing. It's just like bass playing. Practice A LOT and you will get good. It's about guaranteed!

BurnOut likes this.
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Smart move.
    Singing will get you more gigs than playing bass.
    Good Luck.

BurnOut likes this.
  15. In my life as a video game junkie, I'd sing the Ramones, Judas Priest, et al. on my PS4:

singstar_80s5.
    the little bars let you know if you've got the pitch right & if you've got two USB microphones you can do duets

TBH, I had been singing the lyrics to "You've Got Another Thing Coming" wrong for decades.

BurnOut likes this.
  16. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks MM, Love Cat, and really dig Harold and Maude too. Would love to have Cat's skillset.

17. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    That's the plan, getting better at doing em both at the same time every day.

18. A great teacher makes an incredible difference. Keep it up.

Also keep up your fitness - it'll improve your tone and endurance. Allow at least 3hrs to recover from a heavy cardio session before singing.

BurnOut likes this.
  19. That's some pretty odd advice. Coincidentally I was just reading something that recommends 30 minutes of cardio immediately before doing vocal exercises or rehearsals.

BurnOut likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hilarious!

BurnOut likes this.