Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, i stick my SVT II on for the first time in a while . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I turn it on so its in standby, i noticed that the graphic EQ light is light very very dimly, even tho it should be completelly off, i thought that was wierd, anyway, i started playing, about 2-3 minutes later i get a whirring noise in the background

Hmmm, time to turn off and post on talk bass me thinks!!! :( :confused:

I tried turning the volume on the bass all the way down, it was still there, so i dont know what it could be :rollno:

Damn it getting a amp cheap!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Whirring noise in speakers?

Hmmm, don't have a quick answer on that.

Was it "working".....passing a signal but had noise, or did it quit passing a signal?

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Mohawk I don't have an answer either. But just in case you're thinking about it, I wouldn't ditch the SVT-II in favor of something else. I have 3 of them and one needed a slight bit of work to get it up to fighting trim. Now all three are powerhouses, and have given me no trouble in the 4 years I've owned them.

4. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    was it the fan kicking on? sorry, i'm sure you know it's not the fan but i had to say it on the off chance you were so excited about your new amp that you didn't think about the fan.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    SVT-II uses a 115V AC fan (for both domestic AND export...) so the fan isn't a controlled type.

Unless there is microphonic coupling, fan almost surely wouldn't be the issue with the noise.

BTW, for the curious.....the fan is low power, and is run off the split primary of one power transformer, so it's getting 115V regardless.

6. Yeah, a signal was passing through anyway, but there was a background whirring noise, there was also a hum that i dont remember (before the whirring noise started)

Im thinking about taking it to a tech, someone i asked said it could be one of the 12au7's going, because sometimes they made strange sounds :eyebrow:

And i did think about the fan being a possibility afterwards

If its important, theres also a rattle whenever i hit an A, it seems to come from near the power tube at the side where the ohm switch is, however, it was not coming through the speakers, it was purely mechanical :scowl:

And to whoever asked, DONT BE SILLY! why on earth would i want to trade this BEAST!!!!! :D

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Mohawk I always place a piece of foam on the cab under the head, with the idea being to reduce vibrations transmitted from cab to tubes.

8. yeah, when it was in its rack case i used a few layers of reasonably thick strong bubble wrap, but i took it out the rack case because, well basically the case was falling appart, and just left it ontop of the cab, yeah, my bad!

im gonna try it again with another bass today, my btb is playing silly buggers, so it could be that thats somehow responsible

9. why?
    TRACE ELLIOT.

:D :D
    gluck with the amp 'hawk ;)

10. And ive already told you about trace :p

cheers man