1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So,I survived a mugging

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by millsbass5, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Walking out of the club Saturday night and what do I encounter?Hardened drug-crazed hillbilly criminals wanting my bass.Jumped me from behind as I rounded the corner of the club I was playing.See?I told you guys surviving a gig in the coalfields is a job in itself.They don't give a damn whether you live or die here.Seriously,no joke.Cocaine and Oxycontin is rampant here.That's the cause of it all.

I'm 6'5",265lbs.I couldn't do nothing but HUG MY BASS CASE HARD.I'd rather take an ass-beating than have my pride'n'joy stolen.Pre-Tobias 5er,what would you do???

As a result,I'm on crutches(severe ankle sprain from stomping my ankle while I was down),numerous cuts'n'bruises.So many pump-knots on my head,my hair even hurts.

I swear x 1,000=If I'd had a gun,I'd shot every one of'em.I'm not a violent guy.BUT,I don't/won't take no ****.What would you have done????

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    As sympathetic as I am, I'm moving this to Misc.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1

We need the Old West back!:cool:

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    staring down the barrel of MY 45 !!!! i woulda shot their punk a$$es too ...

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I believe in concealed carry permits for mentally healthy, law-abiding citizens.

...And musicians.

Seriously, that sucks. I'd have gotten my ass beat and my bass stolen because I'm not a big guy, not a fighter, but if I were you, I would have tried to put my back against the building with the bass case behind me, and tried to fend them off.

6. Oh man! Really sorry to hear that. I dunno - I hear of cases where someone tried to protect their car from being stolen in a car jacking, and they got killed. I love my car, but love my life and family more. What would I have done? I'd be tempted to give up the bass and run - if I thought I could get away. I love my basses too - but I can always find another one to play.

Ironically, you probably got some good pain killers to help you deal with your injuries, which is what the muggers probably wanted anyways. They should have just jumped themselves, and gone to the hospital all beaten up to get the drugs.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I used to have a guitar player friend in Charleston that got jumped and beat leaving his sound gig at the Empty Glass. Put him in the hospital. Rednecks and hillbillies are not to be messed with.

And you forgot to mention meth, or has that not made it that far south in WV?

Hope you heal fast. Still got the Tobias?

8. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Rough man. So yea, did they end up taking the bass? When it comes to fighting methed out rednecks, i think they will always win reguardless of size. Ive heard stories of several cops having to take down a single meth head.

9. sorry to hear that. hope you heal fast. damn dope heads.

10. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i'v been in a similar circumstance... however my bass was worth quite a bit less (older yamaha RBX) so I used it as a club :p

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Were the police able to pull any viable fingerprints from your bass case?

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    He lives in Logan. The police may or may not have BEEN the rednecks that beat him up.

Kidding...mostly. Lots of people will know who did this; its just a matter of whether anybody will speak up.

13. Damn skippy!!!You are probably right.This is ONE DIRTY TOWN(Think the movie "Roadhouse",only worse.)

Yes,I do have my baby,still.They'll have to pry it from my cold,dead d**kbeaters.But,damn!My case is all scuffed up from my big *** layin' on it.Oh,well.Calzone cases are RUGGED.(Future endorsement????lol)

Tell me.It seems people work HARDER at scheming and scamming than they would at a legit job.Why is that??I don't get it.Are peoples minds that weak??

14. Not to be a ****.But this post AIN'T about me,it was about my baby.My Tobias(God,I love saying that!!)So,IMHO,it should be in basses section.Don't want no sympathy,I'm a big boy.And as for other replies:

No, meth has not made it to this neck of the woods.Thank God.

Someone posted:"I WOULD HAVE LETTEM' HAVE IT AND RAN.WELL....MY MAMMA TAUGHT ME TO PROTECT MY WIFE!!!lol

15. Larz48

Larz48

Aug 18, 2007
    P.A.
    6'5",265lbs? How many were there? prized bass or not, shoulda beat the snot outta them with the case. Start wailin' away! Glad you're still amongst the living though. Thieves suck!

16. if i were you i'd start carrying some sort of concealed weapon (legal or not) to and from your gigs, when you get better. something like a stun gun, machine pistol, or a sawed off shotgun would be perfect. nobody's gonna care if you ace some druggies trying to protect yourself and your livelyhood (read: bass).

17. I'm surprised you didn't use your case as a weapon. :ninja:

18. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    Glad you're relatively OK. Down here 'they' usually come armed with anything from kitchen knives & bricks to AK 47's. Not sure what I would have done - I think every situation is unique, prompting its own suitable response. Not sure whether using a firearm would have been a good idea - these days the criminals have a democratic right to mug you without getting shot at. I keep my .45 mostly at home, except when I'm hitting the open road. Our stats have shown that getting stuck in our valley with a flat tyre is as good as a death sentence (in fact, a lot of flat tyres are actually caused by 'them' by placing obstacles on the road at strategic spots).

For your gigging scenario: get a potent stun gun (I have one too) and be prepared - they know your routine now, so they might try again.

19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    sorry to hear that, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have had some really bad feelings loading out in some bad neighborhoods.

Glad you're OK (relatively).