So I think I'm going to quit my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bigpappabuddah, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Well its not my band in the frirst place, i'm like there 3 or 4th bassist to join up. I've put up with the drummer and guitarest for 2 months and i'm really about to break off. Plus the music has no meaning to me becaue i'm not the one who wrote alot of it and I'm just sick of hearing the drummer come up to me all the time and talk about getting stoned with him. I thought i made it clear when i started that i did not wish or want to become involved with drugs of any type. i told him that and i told the rest of the band that. but i guess they just didn't understand. now here's the catcher, i'm going to make a trip to new york to see my grandmother, who is very old and sick, and they all have objections about me makeing my trip. I am very family orentated, i would put my family epsically my family in NY over anyone and anything. i flat out told them that i was going no matter what. well there's other things, the guitarist and drummer had the balls to come up to me and start playing with knobs on my head, i had my perfect tone. this was not cool. i had the perfect tone for my bass dialed in. but no, they didn't like it because it didn't have a good "tone". lets talk about tone. in this guy's ears feldy has the best tone, now me. i hate his tone with a passion. Okey, before that, my dad bought me a new bass for my 19th birthday, i was really happy with it, and i still love it to this day. its a Geddy Lee, this thing has the best tone in the world. but anywho, they decided to tell me that the bass sucks. flat out. now this is my pride and joy bass, Okey, i can understand how it has fret buzz tuned down to C like we play, but at E, man, i'll tell you it has the greatist tone in the world. But anywho, after they told me that it sucks they keep on makeing references about how there going ot smash it. so there's another reason. Now i've already made my mind up that i would rather play by myself, and be a more productive musican than be with a group of people who feel they are right and no one else is. I can kind of tell why they go throug so many bassists before me. Well tonight i'm makeing my decision. If they decide to tell me again that I can not go to see my grandmother i will take my rig and leave. i have no problem with that. There's other musical opertunities for playing with people who actually enjoy playing in the music and who are not only in it for the money. Now i'm not a dumb guy in anyway. I'm in college trying to get a degree and i have a nice cozy job where i enjoy it, and they want me to leave that behind. I can't understand why people are so set on doing something, me? i enjoy playing, infact i love to play, but this is just too much. Its been clear to me for about 3 weeks that i dont match with this band, but i guess all in all, its helped me grow a little bit, gave me some experence playing, and it'll help me out in the end.

Thanks everyone for hearing me vent. this is just something that's been brewing for a while and i needed to get out to people who've been in my position.
  2. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    u shouldn't take that kind of crap from anyone man.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    That made my head hurt
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sorry to hear about your grandmother ...DO NOT leave any of your gear with these guys ... take it home and don't bother to go back .
    they sound like a**holes !!
    i think the family should always come first , no matter the outcome ...
    again , do not leave your gear at their place !!

5. I'm sorry :(

6. that was actually my plan toinght, play one last time with them and get the hell out of dodge.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    imho if you dont like anything about the band... why stay:] but thats just me and what i understand from your post:/

other thing... are they all like 15 or something? Asking you to get stoned after saveral times of saying "no" sounds like something 14 year old would do... i am surounded by potheads all my life... non of them ever presured anyone... you say no... ok moving on:p It sounds like something small kids would do:p

PS i really want to know their age? its like 16ish right? or they just "smoked themselfs retarded"?

8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just go there and get yor stuff, and tell them to have fun without you. There is no reason for the crap they pull. My old band had some of those characteristics, and needless to say, I left.

9. Thanks for your support, first off your about 6 years young on the drummer who is 21, and i'm thinking about 10 years young on the singer who is aobut 25-27. Both of them have successfully smoked them self, well retarded as you say. and i'm the youngist person in the band at 19.

at first i enjoyed playing with a band who played alot of gigs, i enjoyed playing more than anything, but right off the bat i shouldn't have jumped into it like i did, i didn't think about the near future when i joined up, and now that i'm thinking about it, i see many other opertunities opening up for me. but the worst part is when i can see the drummer getting drunk and comming up and playing. there both always stoned and drunk when they play, i dont understand how someone can do that, well i wouldn't know because i rarely ever drink and dont smoke.

oh and your sig, greatist show ever!
  10. So let's see the pros and cons...

They are complete idiots.
    They do not respect you.
    you don't like the music.
    they do not let any space for a bassist,
    (Anyway exept for pro-bands when a band goes through their fourth bassist maybe the guy behind the bass is not the problem i'd think the problem is in front of the bass ;) .)

Thinking about those guys will make you enjoy being with you next band even more

... :eyebrow:

Just do yourself a favor the world is full of great musicians waiting to be discovered. :bassist:
  11. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Being with guys who smoke pot is IME a bad idea, there is always smoking pot first and music 5th.....because smoking pot is also 2nd, 3rd and 4th;)

I can relate to your problem with the guys because I've been in a similar situation. But don't give up on playing in a band, there are always some bunch of doofi out there that sometimes get in your way but I think there are more cool guys that actually like to play out there then the doofi.
    My advice is to learn from this experiance and move on to bigger and better things:)
  12. Thanks everyone for your support, i'm off to get my rig and get out of there.

13. Oh i'll never give up on playing in a band, i just would like to play with people who enjoy playing with people who dont put pot such high on their prioritys.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Goodluck bro and yes that show does rock... ;]

ya i geuss people who put pot 1st and everything else last are not that great but. Just dont say everyone who smoke pot in that... i know saveral people who do smoke but they take music very serious and really love it... they do smoke only after the gig though...

I am not promoting pot... if you dont like it dont do it... just dont say all people who smoke pot are unreliable people who put music and everything else last next to pot. You get number of people who do that regardless of pot... they are just bad people... has nothing todo with drinking or pot. :] IMO again

15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Band Management and Performance.
  16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you're not obligated to play any paying gigs with these guys, go get your gear right now and never look back!
  17. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Leave now and don't look back.

You needn't worry. They aren't going anywhere with that attitude anyway.
  18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    When you leave steal something from them. Something small and important :D
  19. take the bong
  20. you dont need to hang out with people who treat you like that.just for the fact they keep disrespecting you ,i wouldnt say nothin to them i would just get my stuff and leave,because anything you say isn't gonna matter to them anyways,dont waiste anymore of your valuable time