1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So i think im gonna build a pedal board.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brenner182, Sep 27, 2013.

1. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Ok so i dont wanna go overboard with this, but i wanna have a board that i could jump into almost any scenario and be covered.

Im working on getting my cover band to break away from just straight rock tunes and spicing things up a bit. Yes i know some people can just plug in and think they are fine but Nay i say, Nay.

We were playing stranglehold by ted nugent, and it sounded good but i felt i was missing something. I had no phaser.

So far, the only pedal i have bought so far is a MXR bass envelope filter. I played one in guitar center because i had no idea what it did other then make muah wah wah sounds and once i started playing with it i fell in love with it. So i bought it and started playing with it at practice, and now my band hates me lol.

But what my aim is, I want to get a fuzz or overdrive, phaser (more than likely gone pick up a phase 90) and maybe a chorus.

Sounds like a good plan right? Any others i should look into?

2. I have the same mxr filter and love it! Also use the bass fuzz from them. I have a boss syb 3 synth, Ebs compressor, boss phaser and digitech hardwire overdrive. I also play in a top 40 rock/dance band with female vocals, so playing a Katy Perry song or a Gaga tune can pop up on the list. The synth pedal combined with the envelope filter really cops the synth sound on lets dance pretty good!

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Sounds like a reasonable lineup. You're probably about to get a couple recommendations for pedals to buy. I would recommend deciding what type of sound you most want to cover next (fuzz, overdrive, phaser, etc.), and then look around here for different examples of that type of pedal.

4. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    the next pedal will most likely be a phase 90 pedal. Just gotta decide between the block letter or script unless somebody can advise me otherwise

5. Well, the script doesn't saturate the mids as bad. Check the Phase 45 also, I believe it's only a 2 stage instead of the 90's 4 stages, so you can expect a more subtle sound.

6. I'd also consider a compressor/limiter. Not nearly as much fun as all your other choices but it will help keep your sound from spiking or dropping out.

7. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    ive looked at the mxr one, but they confuse the hell out of me

8. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Ok update, New pedal added, ended up picking up mxr m-80 bass d.i. Had no intentions of buying it honestly, but i saw GC had a used mxr blowtorch (sounded horrible IMO). But then i was between the m-80 and the sasnamp bassdriver di. In the end i liked the crunch of the m-80 So my girlfriend bought it for me as a earl birthday present!

So thats two pedals now. So the next thing i am gonna consider is a board. Anybody have any luck with the cases of ebay? I'm looking at this one mainly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNB-PDC-410...412?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5af5862344

And i plan on getting a separate power supply like a onespot or voodoo lab

9. Brenner,
    Sorry, I didn't see that you commented on my comment. You can read bongomania's www.ovnilab.com for compressor set up. I have the MXR M87 and got useful tone out of everything set at noon but have since adjusted to suit my playing and issues I felt needed addressing. Useful tool IMHO.
    Good score on the pedal and thoughtful girlfriend!

10. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Cool! Careful, buying pedals can become an addiction. (It's not a big purchase, and it's much cheaper than a bass :help: )

Anyway, I bought a Pedaltrain PT-1. They're not cheap, but I'm happy with it. Also, you should consider buying an octave pedal. That paired up with your MXR BEF can make some gnarly sounds.

In any case, have fun!

11. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I think a octave pedal is next on my list. Or prolly the power supply first. haha

I do really like all the mxr stuff i have played so far. I'm still no overly sold on a compressor yet though since my amp has one on it and it kinda seems to kick on when needed.

12. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    You ain't kiddin'! You will find yourself in a dark room with a soldering iron just trying to get your fuzz to percolate the highs a bit more whilst breaking up the lows... and you will think to yourself, "How did I get here?" and further "How do I get out?"...

13. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hahahahaha