So I Thought I Found The Perect Tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 6, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I was sitting at home one day, and decided I would try to find a different tone to use with my band's songs... you know, spice it up a bit. :) And then, I found it. It was the most perfect tone I ever heard. I had the volume at about level 2 at the time. Then, later on that day, I went to practice wtih my band, and for the first time in a while, we practiced outside. With the drums and guitar now going, I had to bump up the volume to about level 5. Then, my pefect tone dissapeared, despite the fact that I didn't change any pedal or amp settings. I had overdrive sometimes, my arrpegios sounded muddy, etc. Should this happen when I up the volume? Or maybe the tone changes outside? Has anyone experienced this, and if so, any tips on eliminating this problem? Thanks. And by the way, I'm using a Yorkville BassMaster xm200 amp, with a DigiTech BP50 stompbox, if that makes any difference. Thanks for reading guys. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  2. The world of acoustics..... bitchy, pissy acoustics.

Playing indoors will never sound like playing outdoors.

Your bass and amp, alone and unaccompanied, will never sound the same when you push the gain while playing with guitar / drums / etc.

Oh, and to make matters worse, the temperature / barometric pressure / and humidity affect acoustics as well. All things being equal, they affect what you hear also.

3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What you need to learn is the parameters you are working with so that you can adjust them to fit the situation. As bimplizkit pointed out, even general environmental issues can have an impact on what you hear, let alone factors such as how hard you drive the amp and who else is playing at the same time.

Through experience, you can gradually learn the things you can adjust to affect your tone towards what you want to hear (how you play as well as tinkering around with knobs and switches) and increase your chances of getting a really good tone for the situation.

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Don't forget wall voltage/amperage.
  6. Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Even the nature of the ground can modify your sound.

Cf. my sig ;)
  7. Tone is a very strange mistress. I too have found a tone that I like. But my amp is just too huge.

So instead of starting a new thread, I'll just half hijack this one.

I think I am going to get a QSC PLX power amp, and a Sansamp BDDI(2?) and run them into a compact 1x15 and 2x12 avatar's.

I want the bass drivers, because they will be lighter than the rack version. But I think I would need two to get both channels of the power amp working.

Hopefully that will give me enough tone, and will help my back out.
  8. Most rooms have frequencies that are dead or emphasized and this has to be dealt with. But here's the main thing: Our ear's sensitivity to different frequencies changes as the sound gets louder.

Both fundamentals (lows) and mids become more apparent and the area around 3-4kHz can get quite annoying. Take a look at this chart and you can get some ideas about how to EQ "your sound" at a higher volume. A little reading.