So I thought I hit the jackpot Sunday (Yard Sale)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duanev3, May 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    One part of the story is I found Fender RH MIM Jazz Bass and a Gibson Les Paul Standard at a local yard sale for a smoking deal ($200 for both). The lady didn't know much about the instruments, but only to say they belonged to her son, and I really didn't want to know anymore details, so I drove as fast as I could to the nearest ATM and came back with the money... Both instruments didn't have cases.

The bass itself is pretty cool though I play bass left handed, but will keep it around as all of my jam buddies we switch instruments on different songs. I'm going to replace the Lucky Charms tuners with Lollipop and the neck with block style fret markers and binding.

[​IMG]

Now the story on the Les Paul... After I got it home I plugged in the Les Paul and it plays and sounds wonderful but something looked just a little off about it. So I pulled one of my LP standard of the wall and started comparing things and notice volume pot back plate was just a tad different shape and the volume controls are a tad further apart than both my Gibson Les Paul Standards. I then took of the control plates and whoever wired the guitar used some pretty high-end components to make a 50's wiring setup, and the pickups are Dimarzio. I'm convinced this is not a Gibson, and I can't sell it, so I'm going to pull it apart and keep all the hardware and electronics and trash the rest of it.

I'm a tad disappointed, but the pickups, electronics and hardware could be used in one of those Stratosphere sold Gibson Les Paul Husks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    So, if it plays and sounds wonderful, why tear it apart?

3. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    Because I can get Gibson Les Paul Husk for $1000 and just throw all the electronics and hardware from the copy and have a real Gibson.

GodsLove66 likes this.
  4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    But it's not legit Gibson hardware so that would hardly make it a 'legit' Gibson.

Just move it on as a good playing and sounding replica with a couple of Gibson branded parts. It's a waste to trash an otherwise good instrument because it doesn't have some brand cache.

5. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    Is it more important to have a "real" Gibson or an instrument that plays and sounds wonderfully? No offense intended at all, but it seems to me a husk with all aftermarket internals would be a parts guitar. Not a true Gibson. And that is okay. I think personally I would rather have the one that sounds and plays great. That's just me. Congratulations on your finds.

6. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    Thanks for your reasoning and I get it. But the neck and body is going in the trash on Sunday evening.

MMiller28 and ajkula66 like this.
  7. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    Why throw away a perfectly serviceable neck and body? You could always build it up and use as another great playing instrument.

8. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    For me it's important to have a real Gibson that also plays and sounds wonderfully. And in my view a real Gibson husk with different hardware and electronics is a real Gibson.... A modified one.... but still legit.

9. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Why? Give it to someone who will use it. If I were local, I'd take it off your hands and build it back into a good player and gift it to a school or my Church to give to a young player with limited means. Dumping it is just wasteful.

10. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    Good point..... I'll place it in front of one the local music stores with a sign "Free." But just the body and neck.

11. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Where are you? Let someone else have it and use it.

12. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    That's what I'm doing.

darwin-bass likes this.
  13. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
  14. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    By dumping it outside a store? There's every chance it will end up trash anyway. Put it on CL or Gumtree or whatever and give a legitimately interested person a chance to use it.

15. duanev3

duanev3 Inactive

Dec 1, 2020
    Uggh....

I have already made my decision

Ghastly likes this.
  16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Counterfeit Gibson, belongs in the trash.

MHensleyJr, Rezdog, Ghastly and 2 others like this.
  17. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Likewise uggh.

I'm sure others have made their decision about you too.

18. kevrex

kevrex

Aug 16, 2015
    What store are you planning to leave it in front of? I know some kids who are learning to build guitars, and if they're anywhere near you, I'll let them know.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Are you sure it’s not legit? Looks a lot like mahogany inside the control cavity.

20. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I don't agree with your viewpoint. It is wasteful and does not get you a "real" Gibson. Sell it off and buy a genuine Gibson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.