1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I thought it was bad wiring in my basement.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by arca_tern, Dec 3, 2018.

1. I was wrong!

9DE7023B-34E3-4218-8C38-63196C49EADC.

Is it just me or is the output jack not grounded?!

Where should I ground the jack to?

Before the talkbass police get all up in my grill
    - brand used MIM Geddy Lee
    - play rock, pop and getting into other styles.
    - was having issues with grounding (getting a pop when first touching anything metal on the bass, hiss when not touching metal).
    - carrots

2. Theoretically it’s grounded to the plate, and the plate is grounded to the bridge. But it’s a J, and if they are both single coils (I can only see the bridge PU in the photo) they can be noisy. Use a multi meter and Check to see if the bridge is grounded. Try backing the controls off a little from max, like 1/8 turn.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    96tbird likes this.
  4. It’s a J (Geddy Lee).
    There appears to be a bruins heading to the bridge but haven’t taken the bridge off the check. Will try the multimeter first.
    Also seems like best practice to have a ground wire. May do that too. Also had planned on shielding with paint or tape. None currently exists in any cavity. If all else fails I will just feed the GAS and upgrade pickups and controls.

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I'd shield the pickup cavities and control plate and tie it all together. If you "upgrade" with pickups and new controls you're most likely not going to get rid of the buzz/interference. Remember, 60 cycle hum in inherent with single coil pickups. If you shield the cavities and ground it properly you can get rid of a majority of the interference. My P bass is dead quiet now after shielding. had nothing to do with the pickups or controls. Also, appliances, lights with dimmers, TV's/monitors that are within the vicinity of your bass can really get that thing buzzing and this is where the shielding really helps.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Jazz are made that way. The jack frame grounds to both the guitar cable and control plate. The control plate grounds the frames of the pots. The bridge wire grounds in the back of the pot: the black wire on the tone pot. .

It saves time and therefore money in manufacturing.

Adding a ground wire form the jack to both pots is a great plan to avoid future intermittent ground problems if a pot or jack gets loose.

Unless you were to put a preamp in there, swapping pots or jack would not be an upgrade. The stock parts there are CTS and switchcraft. Top shelf parts.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.