1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I took the GK 1001 and Shuttle6 to the jam yesterday...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gil_mor, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    ...And did some A/Bing.
    I was using my Squire p/j (Dimarzio PUs), my Avatar neo 2x10 8 ohms, and my GreenHouse Low-kick.

Settings :

I set the Shuttle as follows:
    Input gain - around 10 o'clock
    Input volume - all the way up
    Bass - 1 o'clock
    Mid band - 8-9 o'clock
    Mid gain - 1 o'clock
    treble - 12 o'clock
    Master volume - 12-1 o'clock

I've had the shuttle for a while, and I think that's the best way to get something close to "flat", while maintaining as much headroom.
    I think It sounds better with a little more low-mid boost, but you are losing some headroom, that is very much needed.
    The pre-amp only clipped when I was digging really hard.

I set the GK as follows:
    Input gain - 12 o'clock (With the active switch on)
    Boost - 12 o'clock
    Master - 9-11 o'clock

Everything else - flat.

The pub is a tricky one, a smallish 50-70 people place.
    Its kinda hard to get a descent sound over there, but I've did it before, so I know its possible.

Results:

The Shuttle did OK at first, or that's what I thought, but then I took another look and realized it was hitting the limiter every other note.
    Then I turned my Low Kick overdrive (An Ampeg like sounding with a Big-Muff tone stack) I use it to give me some fat vintage tube tone and a bass boost.
    The shuttle was then hitting the limiter every note. I was seeing way to much red, so I stopped using it and turned to the GK.

The GK had a lot more going in the bass and low mid. That was not a big surprise - when set flat it does have a bump on the low and hi-mids.
    But the sheer power was incredible.
    Although the Avatar is 8 ohms I didn't use the GK full potential, and had more power then I needed.

When I turned my Low-kick on, the whole room was filled with bass bliss. I had to turn down a bit, it was masking everybody.

Conclusion:
    Tone wise - The shuttle can dial pretty much any sound I want it to. But, when you are running out of headroom - the tone is the first one to be sacrificed.
    The GK sounds great as is, no adjustment needed.
    Weight wise - The shuttle weighs a fraction of the GK, I put it in the "Purse", put it on my shoulder and forget its there.
    But, It also means I have to bring another cab to have enough power, So no weight savings here.
    Volume wise - a LOUD 700W amp sounds a lot louder then a QUITE 600W amp. Not a fair comparison...

The guys I play with told me that the GK sounds a lot better, and they usually don't really care.

My $0.02

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    if I may chime in... your input volume all the way is the problem and why you were hitting the clip light solidly. Bring that back to about 12-1 oclock and put your master a 3 Oclock and see what happens.
    What kind of bass IE company and electronics. Also did you set you input gain with or without the bigmuff thing

3. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    My bad,
    The "Input O/L" led stays off, When I slap really hard it may flash.
    The "Input O/L" led stays off, With or without the Low kick. (It's a subtle overdrive, with a tone stack of a big-muff).
    Do you still think its the problem?

As I've said : I was using my Squire p/j (Dimarzio PUs) - Model P and J.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I took what the OP posted on input volume on the Shuttle as 10oclock:meh:

5. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    There, fixed, sorry.

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Vinny, There is input gain/ input volume and master volume.

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida

Are you getting the output clip/limit light to come on?that would be the top right light

8. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    YES
    No need to shout

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    actually since I was tyoing with in the quote itself I wanted it to be visible. Believe it or not I am trying to help you here. PM sent

10. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Talent, OR
    Its all good, I forget to add a :) on the end of that message.
    I do appreciate your help!
    PM replied.

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    pm replied

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The GK just works for me it isn't the flavor of the month but it is a complete workhorse. I would have to shoot it to break it. I've already had one do a dive to sidewalk from on top of 2 stacked 2x10's - not a good moment but the amp never flinched. (I caught a pebble under the wheel of the hand truck. Narrow door way so the cab's were stacked vert:eek: - thank you SKB & GK!) ...And hey - it's only 21 lbs! That isn't exactly like moving an SVT now is it ?

If I were buying today, I would at least consider the Genz for it's light weight and form factor - pretty darned convenient little package. Having heard it from out in the house, the real differences are more due to players tastes in EQ than any other thing ... The GK, the F1, the LMII, the Shuttle - get it in a band mix and you're going to be hard pressed to tell them apart.

The GK does have a mild scoop tonally - with everything set flat. I'm down with that as I would generally prefer a mild scoop - I'm one that EQ's with my ears as opposed to my eye's - so that it isn't truly flat with the EQ point's centered doesn't bug me.)

If I owned any of the above (uh, I guess I do come to think on it ...) I wouldn't sell it to get one of the other's on the list. They are all small, relatively light and solid amps. I like the native mode sound in a GK. I have since my original 400B (yeah B, not RB - as in 1978 ? or 9 ?) so I would also have to look at the new little micro GK thing coming out. Chances are I'll just hang with the 1001 RB II though. I would need to get something more than just a 15 lb weight loss to make the move ...

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I bought a Shuttle 6.0 to see if it could become a 3.5 pound version of my GK1001RB. Sold it after two weeks. Amp is great, but the GK killed it in every aspect besides portability. Shuttle is gone, GK is still here.

14. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I tried a shuttle in the store but I really thought it lacked low-end. But that's in a store, mind you. Never gigged one. I'm pretty happy with my LMII.

15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Couldn't agree more. GK's tone and durability simply work. I wonder if the arrival of the MB2-500 will turn GK into the flavor of the month though :p

16. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I just wonder if the MB2 will arrive

17. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Dude, quit yelling! No need to be a jerk about things!!!:spit:

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Brian Clark (GK) posted a little while ago that they're ready and have been shipped! :hyper: So excited :bassist:

19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  20. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I'm going to have to jump in and defend my little buddy, the Shuttle 6.0.

I had the GK 1001RBII and loved it. But, for me, the Shuttle is the choice. Not just because of the weight (Though the fact that the Shuttle fits in my gig bag is a BIG plus!!), but the tone suits me. More "compressed" and more "complex". And the parametric thing is really nice. (I loves me some 300-350hz!!) And I generally prefer a non-scooped tone.

The GK is louder. But me, that's non-issue. The Shuttle through my two Bag End S15's is more than I'll need.

And hey, the Shuttle ain't too expensive. Haven't checked recently, but the 1001II and the 6.0 are about the same, no?

My .02.