so.. i tried a dingwall.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Feb 25, 2006.

1. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey

i just need to convince myself that spending 1300 dollars is necessary.

i played a 5 string ABII... i'd be buying a 4 string ABI

just WOW. the frets, the action, the sound, the playability, the weight, EVERYTHING was great. its a funk machine, a jazz machine, a slap machine. it does whatevrer you ask. jazz, p, musicman sounds. holy crap...

so now... should i do it?
  2. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    It's never "necessary", but you only live once! If you love it that much and don't get it, you'll regret it. Good luck!
  3. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    If it feels good do it!
  4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    That reassures me that I've made the correct descision to order an ABII-5 w/out ever playing or seeing one in person.
  5. Er...Have you ever played a fanned fret bass?
  6. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I did it twice, I have an ABI 4 in Whale Blue Burst Flame Top, and an ABII 5 walnut body w/ Pomelle Bubinga Top. I'm biased but I think you would like it.
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd lvoe to try one sometime, just to see if I like them! If you do, take the plunge, like it has been said, you only live once!
  8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Uh - No. Have you?
    The even string tension & more defined tone on the B & E strings is really going to be annoying.:eyebrow:
  9. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    o man.. don't even remind me of how great and tight the e and b are... :)

geez... i love it.
  10. I'm glad you love it, they are great basses. The best part about it, their passive, and sound wayyy active.
    Make sure you check out the dingwall forum

there is NOTHING to worrry about w/ the fanned frets, it will take you longer to read these posts than to get comfortable on this bass.
    The only issue i ever heard about an afterburner is the 37" scale on the B strong, the stretch between 1st fret and 3 is long
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've played a Dingwall once and instantly connected with it. If I'm able to play a Dingwall without any trouble, I think y'all will be fine.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Not to mention evening out the tone across the neck too. What an awful shortcoming...Or the more ergonomic left hand positioning leading to less strain or fatigue.

Blues Cat, I bought one sight unseen, and it was my first 5 string too! I've now ordered my second bass from Sheldon.

Well, I think you've answered your own question. When I was looking at Dingwalls almost a year ago, I posted a 'talk me out of an Afterburner' thread, and ONLY got positive feedback. I can understand it not being a look for everyone, but I find them to be beautiful and well designed. That doesn't even include the tonal benefits.

Lots of focus is on the fanned fret board, but if you look at all the other features and aspects of the bass, I'd buy one even if it had parallel frets.

Instigata, if you have any questions about the current specs of the Afterburner 1 feel free to ask either here or at the Dingwall message board. The website doesn't list terribly current info, and some things have been changed. There are plenty of people here and there who love these basses so much that they have a good pool of knowledge. Not to mention that Sheldon, although busy building and keeping us owners happy is usually pretty quick to post.
  13. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    hah. oh, the look is what first drew me to them. i LOVE how they look. absolutely love them.

and the second part is the great job of design. unlike some basses (some of those new fender contraptions... basically parts-bin-frankensteins), this bass was designed for one amazing purpose, and each and every aspect is perfect and meshes together.

so i think i'll have to take your advice guys...

i'm going to order one.

now what color.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a six string Dingwall and it has some of the most overall balanced tonal options available you can find,not only a very versatile instrument but an incredible sounding bass as well and it plays like butter.
  15. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My favoite is whale pool blue, but I think bass central has an exclusive on that.
    What options do you have? Are you going just Alder or are you gonna step up to Flame Top?
  16. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    either way i'll love it. but i'm gunna find out what it'll cost extra for the flame top.

once again, either way. same great bass.
  17. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive never played one, but it's near the top of my list of things I want to buy... and its probably one of the cheapest things on the list... so maybe in a year or two you'll see me starting a similar thread :hyper:
  18. Hey man, I felt the same way as you do, when I first played a Warwick Thumb N/T.
    It blew me away! It just felt so well-built and comfortable...and the tone!

In January, I dropped the two Gs and bought it.
    I haven't looked back since.
    My bandmates absolutely love it, so that helps post-purchase freak out. I feel guilty though, I never play my Fender Jazz bass. It's like going from a Ford to a Ferrari. :hyper:
  19. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    haha. well, i think in your case porsche would've been the better analogy (both made in germany.. haha).

i'm sure my canadian ferrari.... will impress the living crap out of every one of my "jamming buddies," bandmates, etc.